Chapter 24

It was night time, and even if I really wanted to go to bed, we had to go for the doctor's appointment.

The dreadful walk to the doctor's room is indeed, dreadful. I try to think positive about my situation, but with the recently occurring back pains and vomiting, it's really hard to be all positive everyday. But along with me are the two people who helps me get by everyday, mom and Louis. 

Louis, in particular, has never left my side, even if I tend to puke at night on the bed. He'd always help me change clothes after and soothe me to sleep. 

I held his hand tighter and he looked at me with a concerned face. "Something wrong, Ef?" 

I grinned and shook my head. "No, just .." I locked eyes with him. "Thank you."

He grinned back and quickly kissed me. "Everything is going to be okay, okay?" 

I giggled. But I am not sure that what he said was true. 

I took a final deep breath before entering Dr. Evan's room. 

-----------

Dr. Evan and my mom had some greeting and small talks first. Louis was checking his phone for messages, while I was quietly scanning Dr. Evan's room. My eyes landed on his table where a blue envelope was marked with "CASE 2: Confidential" on top of it. I sneaked a glance at Dr. Evan and saw that he was not looking. I slowly lifted the envelope and on the upper right corner I saw my picture. I was surprised and was about to fully open the envelope until Dr. Evan snatched it away from me. 

"You are not supposed to read that." He said firmly. 

My defense rose. "What's in that folder? I saw my picture there? Now suddenly I am CASE 2, huh?"

Louis stood up and gently held my shoulders and whispered, "Ssh, sit down love."

It was mom's turn to question. "Excuse me, but I think that we have the right to know what's in that folder since my daughter's photo is in there." 

I looked at Louis who was stroking my hair. "Now I am some sort of lab rat." I whispered to him. 

He chuckled and replied, "On the bright side, you'd make a cute mouse." 

I lightly punched him on the stomach. We then turned our attention to Dr. Evan.

"Well, you see Mrs. McClair, you do know that for acute leukemia, the only well known treatment nowadays is through chemotherapy. But chemotherapy can not distinguish between the cancer cells, and the good cells in your body. That's why it makes people weak, loose hair etc."

My hand suddenly touched my hair. Man, I don't want to loose this. 

Dr. Evan's eyes then glimmered. "But just recently, a type of serum has been developed, and is believed to eliminate only the cancer cells, leaving the good ones unharmed. And a possibility to take away leukemia, completely."

My heart then started thumping faster. Is there hope? Is there hope for me to live a long life? My eyes shifted to Louis who's face was as surprised as mine. 

"Wait, a possibility?" Mom said.

Dr. Evan nodded.  "Unfortunately, it only works on some people with a certain type of leukemia, or with certain genetic and anatomy based characteristics. And the tests aren't 100% sure effective. Some even died."

"Oh great." I muttered.

"We have to find the right patient for this." He then took out the papers from the envelope. "And we believe that you, Ms. Elizabeth, are the one."

Joy and confusion and more joy was what I felt. I hugged Louis from my seat and he hugged me back. "I can't believe it, Lou. I can't believe it." 

"I love you." He whispered in my ear.

My mom was in her seat crying a bit.

"Now wait, we do have some precautions here. This test is not 100% sure that you'd heal. And, since  this is a big risk that you'd may want to take, I would just like to let you know that if in that day your body declines to accept this serum.."

"I'd die?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Oh." I replied.

So I guess it goes on opposite ends. I live or I die. 

Louis' expression changed too. "What!?!?"

"You are one of the first people that we would try it on. If you don't want, we could always go through chemotherapy and --"

"I'll do it." I said.

Mom faced me. "Honey, did you hear what --"

"I heard it mom. I have full faith in this. With Chemo, you are just prolonging my arrival to death. But for this, its a fifty fifty thing mom."

Louis then cupped my face. "Love, are you sure about this?" 

I quickly pecked him on the lips. "I told you that I'd fight this, right? This is it, Louis. This is the start of my battle." 

He then nodded then kissed me back. "Ehem."  Oops, looks like we forgot about Dr. Evan and mom.

Dr. Evan chuckled, "So good to be young and in love." He said and smiled at us. "You got a strong girl here, Mr. Tomlinson." 

Louis nodded and put his arms me. "I know. And I have no plans of losing her."

Mr. Evan then scanned through the folder once more.

"So, what's it going to be?"

I looked at Louis, and then I looked at Mom. Then suddenly, I saw something outside Dr. Evan's window. I walked up there slowly, and looked into the darkness. But you see, it's not only darkness that I saw. It's not darkness outside that made me stand up. 

I saw fireflies. Dad.

I can't help but smile. I love you too dad.

"I am your case number 2, Dr. Evan."

AN: No serum of this sort exists right now. But I do hope that it does. xx