Chapter 6 Frost

Finishing up the start of winter, feeling accomplished once again. I even gave a city or two some snow days. Though most of the people here are home school,  it was nice to see the children happy as they ran outside to play.

Leaning against my staff, I couldn't get Rapunzel out of my head. The way her emerald green eyes shines against the moon's light. The way she dances when she's happy.

Without realizing,  I noticed that I had a smile on my face. Laughing at the thought, I got up "Winds, take me to her Kingdom!" I shouted, stretching out my arms as I fell back off the boulder in which I was sitting. Catching me, I flew as I headed southeast, back to her.

I promised that I would visit and winter had just started. Now it's Mother Nature, Statera, turn to continue the season.

As for me, I headed for the Princess' home to fulfill a promise.

*  *  *  *  *  *

Coming up to her window, I peeked inside. Don't want to be seen if she happens to not be alone. to my relief, she was.

Seeing her sitting in a chair by a night stand. An open book with sketches filled a page. She smiled as she drew. Being submissive,  I brought my hand to my mouth, collected the frost and blew it towards her on her lap.

She seemed to not understand at first but quickly caught on and her eyes locked on to mine.

"Jack!" she smiled, setting her book on the ground as she came towards me. Getting off the window seal, she gave me huge hug, it almost startled me. Returning her embrace. She smelled like lilac and berries.

"You came back, I'm so happy," she beamed as she pulled away, taking a step back, I could see her face turning a light shade of pink.

"I told you I would," I smiled walking around her room. "So I see you've been drawing while I was gone?" I chuckled, picking up the sketch book that she set on the chair.

She grinned, standing on her tip toes, swaying back and forth on her toes and heels. "Yeah, you can look at them if you want to," she beamed almost child like. I laughed as I opened the book that looked well used.

I was awestruck. Sketches of realistic flowers covered the pages. The Kingdoms Sun symbol was intricate in every picture. A picture caused me to pause though. It was a young girl who sat at her window, staring off into the distance. She was wearing a peasant dress and her hair was gold and very, very long. Well past her feet. She looked sad. "What's the story behind this picture?" I pointed out cautiously.  As she saw what I was looking at, her beautiful smile dissolved.

"I - it's a long story," she said slowly.  Her voice lowered as she spoke, sitting back down on her chair.

"You can tell me if you like?" I asked, hoping she won't be offended. Her large eyes looked as if they were on the brink of tears. Feeling frantic, I searched through the book again and saw a set of a beautiful meadow with colors of a sunrise dancing in the background. "Where did you see this?" I asked, changing the subject. Taking a look, her smile returned.

"I was walking in the forest just past the castle when I saw this meadow.  Even when I got home, I couldn't get the view out of my head. I just had to save it in this book."

Feeling relieved, I looked through it some more. "This book is really amazing Punzie. Everything in here is so detailed and colorful." I praised her honesty. Seeing her cheeks color a rose hue, she tried to hide her face with her short hair. Obviously,  it wasn't working.

"Thank you, Jack,  I had a lot of time to practice," she sighed, though I didn't quite understand her meaning. Doesn't a Princess usually have a lot of duties to do with the King and Queen?  How does she have any time to practice things like this?

Flipping through some more, nearing the end, a picture with a slight gold coloring caught my eyes. Turning back to it, I nearly dropped the book right then. No, it can't be his, can it? We banished him years ago. We did, right?

"When did you see this?" I asked, showing it to her. Looking at it, her face looked expressionless as she pondered over the thought.

"Oh, it was yesterday after Maximus got spooked by something?  It was in the forest by the coast where the fisherman goes," she explained casually.

"Maximus?"

"Yeah, my horse. We were on our way for a picnic by the coastline when something spooked him, throwing me off, he ran back towards the castle. I saw this thing not too long after that," she explained. Thinking it over, she started to look alarmed. "Why? What is it?"

Looking through the book some more, seeing another sketch but showed the golden eyes and smile emerging through some leaves. This confirms it. Pitch Black is back.

Author's Note:

sorry, it's shorter than my other chapters.  but I promise, Rapunzel's point of view is next and so is an official introduction of a new character.  I hope you enjoyed this chapter.  please, comment and/or vote if it fancies you.