Chapter 18 Unaware

Jack's POV:

I could hear the impatient pacing from the outside of the door. I haven't left Rapunzel's side in five days. I didn't rest, didn't eat, and hardly moved.

One of the perks of being a spirit is that I didn't need all of those things to live. They were just additions that I could enjoy, but I felt hollow. I tried force feeding her some foods that would just slide down her throat, giving her water so she wouldn't waste away. I felt useless. No one knew how to wake her up. Everyone searched around the planet, looking up things that could help revive a lost soul, but anything that we found, nothing worked.

Statara says that all we can do is wait, but how much longer can we wait?

I remembered from my visits that she loved to read, so every night, I would pick a story from Statara's library and read to her. Some were just simple stories about a damsel in distress being saved by a knight in shining armor. But the only one that I could get a reaction from her, which was usually just a stir in her sleep, was one about the princess who was enchanted into a deep slumber by her evil step mother. Somehow, I think she could relate.

But one night, I read her a story about the Guardians. A book that Statara had written years ago, I thought I saw her smile.

"Rapunzel," I whispered softly, after of hours of silence. Even the hall was quiet. "If you're in there, please, please wake up. I know you can fight this. I know you are a strong woman, you just need---"

"Jack?" North called from down the hall. Feeling conflicted, I kissed her forehead and left her alone for a moment.

"Y-yeah?" I said, my voice sounded hoarse and tired. Unless it was a few words that I have spoken to Punzie, I haven't actually said anything out loud silence last night story.

I entered into the living that was filled with sour faces. Everyone filled in the small space. "What is it?"

"Jack," North started, looking around the room. "I think it's about time we told her parents about what happened," he said. I was regretting this.

"I promised them that I would protect her," I said, almost too quiet to hear.

"And you are, mate," Bunny said, figured that he would be the one to hear it.

"Jack, you don't have to go at it alone. I would gladly explain what is going on. You could just stay here by her side and keep an eye on her," Tooth offered. I kept my head down.

"I should be the one to tell them," I whispered, I sounded almost like I wasn't making any noise. 

"Then I'll stay by her side until you return," Bunny offered, that's when I started to make eye contact with everyone. My hood was still on top of my head, so it blocked my profiles vision.

"I don't know," I mouthed, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"She will be in good hands, Jack," Statara wrapped an arm around me.

"Ung--" a moan came from down the fall. Startled, I pulled myself away from Statara and flew down the hall to the room. Opening the door, my body went weak.

"J-ack?" Punzie spoke weakly, her eyes fluttered heavily. Immediately, I flew to her side, gripping her small hand in mine.

"Rapunzel," I cried softly. Hearing a commotion of voices and foot steps by the door. Everyone gasped as they saw her waking up. "It's alright, I'm here, your safe," I soothed, seeing waking up looking like she was about to panic.

"Punzie," I called out soothingly, running my fingers through her hair, holding her face. "Hey, hey, it's alright, calm down."

She started to fight until it seemed like she got a good look at her surroundings. Her large emerald green eyes locked in mine, "J-Jack?" she breathed slowly. Tears formed in her eyes as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "Oh Jack!" she cried, holding on tightly. I moved to the bed and held her close.