Chapter 2

TWO MONTHS LATER

I’m finally done unpacking and everything is in its place. My new room is bigger than my old one. The walls are creamy white and the curtains over the window facing the street are mint green. My favorite color. The bed is double sized since I have a bad habit of falling out of bed at night. My clothes are neatly folded in the drawer and a few skirts and jeans hung in the wardrobe. The bookshelves are far from filled. A few albums with some of my favorite artists, a diploma from a spelling bee contest in second grade, some movies and books, lots of books actually. Everything between classics like Tom Sawyer and Sherlock Holmes, to modern books like The Hunger Games and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I’ve organized my desk with new pencils and paper stacked next to the stereo. 

Tomorrow I’m starting at the University. American History and English. It’s a short drive there, about 15 minutes but I wish it had been shorter. Actually I wish I didn’t have to drive at all but my parents wouldn’t let me stay at campus, they wanted me close.

I take one more look at my room. It looks good, so I turn out the lights and go to sleep.

The introduction is the most boring introduction I have ever been to. I almost fall asleep when they go through safety and the schedule of the year. The people from the school administration say a few words as well. Afterwards I take a tour around the school and notice it’s much bigger than I expected it to be. But I like it. It will be easier to blend in here. No one will notice me. I will blend in, I convince myself, but I have to get some friends. I can’t let it be High School all over again. Plus, my class mates seem nice…so far. 

I’m heading towards my car when I see a face I recognize.

“Joselyn, right?”

Michael is standing in the parking lot with a smirk on his face.

I smile back at him.

“It is you! Never thought I’d see you again. And yeah, I dye my hair a lot.”

He must have noticed me starring at his red hair.

“Sorry, I just…”

“No, it’s fine. Are you going here?”

“Yes, it’s my first day. American History. What about you?”

“Not to this building but over there. Information Technology. Computers and such stuff.”

He points somewhere behind him but I have no idea of at what. Everything looks the same to me.

“What campus are you at?” He asks.

“Oh I’m not staying here. I’m living at…”

I never get to finish the sentence before Michael high-fives a black haired guy walking by.

“What’s up, Mike? Ashton said you…”

Ashton. Oh my. He had crossed my mind several times during these past two months. Does he go here, too? There was something about him, but I’m not sure if I want to get to know him or if I should just try to avoid him. Especially since his girlfriend wasn’t very fond of me, I think back on when I left the café. I never thought I would meet any of them again. Ever. Like, what are the odds, in this city of millions? I look at my watch, even though I don’t need to because right at that moment, I feel my stomach tell me it’s time for lunch. I wonder if there are any lunch places near or if I should head back home. It’s noon and I didn’t have to be back at the Uni until tomorrow.

“Joselyn, this is Calum, by the way. Calum Hood.”

I look at the guy Michael high-fived before. He looks athletic and is wearing a tank top. What is it with guys and tank tops down here? Everyone seems to be wearing them.