Chapter 18

We walk in the sand with our shoes in our hands, making a small conversation about nothing and everything. About the weather, about music, movies and food. I find out we have the same kind of taste in movies; action and comedies. His favorite is The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. He likes spaghetti and strawberries and says he can’t live without pineapples. He actually likes cold weather and would do anything to go sleigh riding and build a giant snowman that will last for days. I tell him he could go to Canada, there’s snow all year around. 

“We even have polar bears walking around on the streets.”

“I don’t believe you.” He squints his eyes at me

“Only telling the truth,” I say, trying to hide a smile.

It’s always fun telling people that story. In some cases people actually believe me and that’s the moment I realize how stupid people can be. But Ashton’s not one of those people. I know he can tell I’m lying. If I ever saw a wild polar bear walking down the streets, I would die. 

We find a big rock, or maybe I should say boulder, and sit down, just like by the lake. The beach is quite different from than the lake though. Here’s sand, people and the ocean doesn’t end. Yet, it’s peaceful and the water hits the shore like the lake water hit the rocks. I’m glad we don’t sit right by the end. I don’t want to get sand in my pants or my underwear so the rock is perfect. My feet are already sandy enough. 

I wonder what Ashton told the other guys when he decided to ditch their game night. Did he say he was tired or did he say he was just meeting up with another friend? I wonder if he told them my name, or if he said Amy’s. It felt like it was ages ago since I saw Amy even though it was only yesterday. A lot has happened since then. The party, the ‘have you ever’-game, the cabin and Ashton’s story, Michael befriending my parents, and now this. All in 24 hours.

“What are you thinking of?” Ashton nudges me with his elbow.

But instead of telling him all of that, I say I’m thinking about the ocean and how peaceful it is.

“You’re lying.”

“I am not ly-“

“Yes you are.” He raises an eyebrow.

“Fine,” I sigh. “I’m just thinking of what has happened during these 24 hours. About you, Michael, Amy, the party…”

And then I see a picture of Luke appearing. He always finds a way to get on my mind.

“You seem so different, all of you. Especially you and Luke.”

“We’ve been friends for like forever. I’ve stopped asking why I’m friends with them anymore, we just are.”

“Are all of you great friends?”

“Not really. Michael and Luke kind of hate each other,” he shakes his head and tells me about Michael kissing Luke’s girlfriend at a party. “But Luke really shouldn’t worry about that.”

“Why not?”

Michael’s quite good looking if you’re into the whole punk rock thing.

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t know what?” I frown at him.

“He’s gay.”

“He’s what!?” I repeat, still frowning.

“Michael’s gay. He’s a guy who likes guys. Nothing much.”

I’m confused, shocked, surprised. Here I thought that Michael likes me, has a crush on me. He is always so nice to me. And he’s gay? How did I not see that coming?