Chapter 8

(Just wanted to say thanks to everyone reading! I love seeing your comments and the messages you send me are so cute <3 Thank you all so much! Keep up the voting+commenting!)

ASHTON POV

Yolanda is sweet and all, and I thank her for everything she has done to me but, eavesdropping on this conversation is not okay. And why did she have to embarrass me in front of Joselyn? Now that I come to think about it, why am I even embarrassed at all? I never get embarrassed.

I take a strawberry and dip it in the strawberry jam.

“What?” I ask when I see Joselyn’s face.

“Strawberry with strawberry jam? Is that even good?” She frowns.

“You’ve never tried strawberries with strawberry jam? You girl, have never lived. Here!”

I hand her my already dipped strawberry. She studies me with her eyes, her face telling me she’s debating whether or not she should trust me, before she takes a bite. Her eyes lights up a little.

“Good right?”

“Yes!” She nods before taking another bite.

“Well, you’re looking at the inventor.”

I can tell she doesn’t believe me.

“It’s even on the menu,” I say and grab a menu off the table behind us. “See, Irwin’s jam.”

“Have you named anything else?”

“Yeah actually…”

I go through the menu and start telling her about Pancake’s Paradise, the Eggstra bacon and all other lame names I’ve come up with over the years. I look at her taking it all in. God, she’s beautiful. The way her eyes smile and glimmer. She opens her mouth to say something but closes it quickly.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing,” She says and looks down on her plate. But not fast enough for me to miss the light in her eyes disappear.

“Are you sure? You can tell me anything.”

I see her moving in her seat. She looks uncomfortable.

“Why did you do it?”

“Do what?” I ask puzzled.

“Pull Luke away?”

I was waiting for her to ask me that, but, at the same time, I wasn’t. Joselyn didn’t seem like the person who asks something right away. She would wait, debate whether she should ask or not and then decide she wouldn’t, so she adds the question to the sea of unasked questions.

“I know how Luke can be. Wants to get inside everyone’s pants, especially the new ones. He’s a bit of a jerk when he’s drunk. I just didn’t want him to do that to you. You’re too nice.”

“Oh. Thanks by the way.”

“No problem.”

We both go quiet. I don’t know what to say. I want to keep talking to her, ask her about her past because I know there is something going on that she isn’t telling me about, but I can’t. It’s not that it’s hard talking to her. It’s just that I don’t want to seem too pushy. I look at her again. She looks nothing like any other girl I’ve met. Sure, I’ve met girls with long brown hair before. And girls keeping it away from their face with a few bobby pins. But yet she looks so different. The plain green t-shirt she is wearing makes her blue green eyes look brighter. She’s wearing the same thick leather bracelet she was wearing 2 months ago when I first met her, but also at the Diner. She must have noticed me staring at it because she pulls her hand away.