Chapter 30

ASHTON POV 

We end up watching a movie. I don’t know the title or what it’s about, all I can think about is her. The girl who just stood up for herself, in front of her parents. The girl who made me cry because of something she went through. The girl who is also lying with her head on my shoulder, sound asleep. It didn’t take more than a minute before she shut her eyes. Her breathing is slow. I want to wrap her up, hold her tight. But I don’t.

It’s so weird, that feeling I have when I’m with her or even without her. I want to get closer to her even though she’s right in front of me. And if she’s not, I can’t wait to see her again. She’s got me under some kind of spell.

But somehow I can’t shake off the feeling about her parent’s reactions. I thought they would throw themselves at her, ask a million questions. I didn’t expect them to let it go that easily. And especially not leave just like that. If I take Joselyn’s words correctly, which I do, I trust her, this just doesn’t add up. Where’s the fire? The rage? Sure, a few curses here and there and she told them to sit the fuck down. But there was no yelling. And no hiding. Are they finally letting her go? Have they finally realized it’s not worth fighting her anymore? Do I have something to do with it? I did talk to them about it. Or maybe they just don’t want to scream at her in front of me. If that is the case, I will stay by her side forever. I’ve already promised her that, even though she didn’t hear me.

My arm’s asleep when I slowly get Joselyn off my shoulder and start carrying her upstairs. She still has her eyes closed, and I want her to stay that way. I’m exhausted too. I want to go to sleep but I know I have to stay awake in case she wakes up and needs someone. And by someone, I mean me since I’m the only one here. 

As I lay her down on her bed, I step on something. I look under my foot and find her bracelet. The bracelet I’d been curious to find out more about ever since I met her. I wonder if she’ll continue using it or if those days are over. If she’d ask me, I’d say she should drop it. A bracelet can’t help you stay strong. You need someone to show you why it’s worth staying strong. And I want to be that reason. I want to be her reason.

JOSELYN POV 

A soft snore wakes me up and I find myself wrapped up under an arm. What the… As I carefully reach for the hand to remove it, I feel the electricity shoot through me and I leave the arm where it is. My body fills with life and I immediately feel much better.

Ashton.

Why is Ashton in my bed, sleeping? And how the hell did we end up here? Did we…? No. I’m still wearing my clothes. I curse at myself in my head. How can I even think of such a thing? We were downstairs watching a movie, or he was watching, I fell asleep. He must have carried me upstairs. But that doesn’t explain the fact that he is in my bed and definitely not why he has his arm around me.

I wonder how the air will be between us now, after everything. Somehow I feel closer to him, closer than I’ve ever been before. And not because we’re practically spooning, but because of everything else. And because he stayed. That’s what concerns me the most.

“Why did you stay?” I mumble and he begins to move.

Shit, did I just say that out loud?

“Morning.”

His voice is raspy and I feel that tingling feeling again.

“It’s 3 in the afternoon,” I say and he chuckles, making me forget where I am for a second.