Chapter 21

“This is like our thing now, meeting up every Monday at this place,” Emma says as our food arrives at The Diner. 

I smile at her. I didn’t expect to see her here and I wasn’t really in the mood to talk with anyone, well except for Ashton. I am always in the mood to talk with him.

I didn’t drive to the University this morning because mom needed the car. We have two cars and I use to borrow one of them since dad often drives mom to work. But she had to run an errand on the other side of town so she took ‘my car’. She politely offered me a ride and told me she could pick me up at 2 so I shouldn’t complain. But I wanted to get back home as soon as possible and then go to Sunday’s to talk with Ashton.

Ashton hasn’t left my mind since yesterday and I can’t wait to see him again. I felt his heart beat when I leaned my head against his chest and I wonder if he felt mine too. My heart was beating just as fast as his. I wanted to stay in his arms, but Ray came out after a couple of minutes and started teasing us. Apparently the entire café saw us kiss, including the staff. It was embarrassing and I know I was still blushing when I got home. Mom told me I was glowing, but I’m pretty sure I was blushing.

“So what’s up?”

You know, just the regular. You know Ashton? Cute brunette, curly hair, hazel eyes? Your friend? Well, we kissed. And he told me he liked me.

“Nothing much. Got a bunch of papers to write, what about you?”

It isn’t completely a lie. I do have a bunch of papers to write. It should be easy, since I have plenty of notes, but it includes a discussion question and we have to work in groups. I thought I easily could join a group since I’ve actually made conversation with some of the others. But no one seemed to want me in their group. They all turned their backs to me. Sarah was sick but I’m pretty sure she’ll find someone else to discuss with when she gets back. Hello High School. Why is it so hard to fit in? Why don’t people like me?

You think people have changed, that they are more mature. Truth is, they’re not. They’re just the same.

“You’re the worst liar in the world! Even worse than Ashton. You don’t smile like that when you’ve got homework! Seriously, what’s up?” Emma raises an eyebrow before she takes a bite of her hamburger.

“Seriously, nothing.”

I try to be serious but I can feel the corners of my lips slowly rising when she mentions Ashton.

“There’s a guy isn’t there? Tell me! Tell me! I wanna know everything! All the details.”

I laugh and shake my head, suddenly the feeling of not fitting in, decreases. So this is what it’s like gossiping? Talking about crushes?

“It’s Ashton, isn’t it?”

I cough and almost choke on my burger. How did she know about Ashton?

“Ha! I’m right. It is Ashton!” She puts her hands in the air, like some kind of victory sign.

I keep coughing. I really did put something in my throat.

“Sorry about that. No, it’s just quite obvious. I mean, the way he looks at you and the way you look at him. I remember the first time we came here, 3 weeks ago, was it? He got his eyes on you. I swear everyone noticed except for Amy. He looked at you like you were the only person in the room. Then he ran out after you and came back almost furious. So what, are you a thing now?”

“No, we’re not. He’s still with Amy.”

“What a shame, really. No guy who likes a girl that much should be with somebody else.”