Chapter 40

I feel the stiff surface under me as I roll over. Why is my bed so hard? And why is it so cold?

I slowly open my eyes and realize I am not in my bed. I’m not even in a bed at all. I’m on the floor. My cheek pressed against the wooden panels, my back hurting and my legs pressed up against me. I see dust and a piece of paper, that’s my view, also known as under the bed. I slowly sit up, feeling my body aching and notice the duvet being half in bed, half on the floor. Great. I must have fallen out some time during the night.

It isn’t light in the room, it isn’t dark either. The curtain keeps the sun out, I see a small beam of light trying to get through. But wait, that’s not my window. I look back at the bed and realize that is definitely not my bed either. Mine is much bigger, and I am pretty sure I only have one bed, and not two like there are in this room; one on each side of me.

I’m quick on my feet. Where the hell I am? I take a look around but there’s nothing I recognize. At least I’m still wearing my clothes. The room is quite small. Except for the two beds, there’s a dresser with a lamp on between them, and there’s a closet next to me. That’s when I hear a soft snore behind me and when I turn around and see the sleeping body on the couch in the other room, I remember. 

I’m in Ashton’s cabin.

But I don’t remember falling asleep? And definitely not in a bed? Last thing I remember was lightning and thunder, rain beating against the windows, me curled up in Ashton’s lap, him brushing my hair and my eyelids starting to feel heavy. I must have dozed off. Once again he must have carried me and tucked me under the covers. I’m glad he didn’t decide to strip me off, now that would have been embarrassing. 

I make my way out of the room, trying not to sneak a glance at the sleeping boy on the couch but I fail. The blanket is starting to fall off and I quietly pad over to fix it. He moves a little and I hold my breath, hoping he doesn’t wake up and find me hovering over him as some kind of freak. But he just keeps on sleeping, his mouth slightly opened and his breathing slow. How does one look so peaceful in their sleep? 

I don’t know for how long I stand there looking at him but for some reason I glance over at the clock on the wall showing a quarter to 8. I feel panic rush through me and it just gets worse when I feel in my pockets and realize my phone isn’t there. Shit. The panic is getting bigger and I look around; on the table and on the floor, I even take a quick search with my eyes over Ashton, but my phone is nowhere to be found. Mom’s going to kill me! And I have a damn class in a little over an hour. How am I supposed to get there that fast? I need breakfast and I need my notebook, my pens, my… That’s when I see my phone lying by the window, a charger attached to it.

*1 unread message* 

Only one? How can I only have one unread message? I mean, I know I’m not popular but knowing my parents, mom would have sent at least ten. But now there’s only one. I click to open it.

ASHTON POV 

“Ashton?”

I moan, not wanting to wake up. Not now. I had the best dream, dreaming about ice-cream and chocolate, and it actually felt real. I was the king of some ice-cream land but that’s as much as I remember.

“Ashton?”

This time the voice is closer and I sigh loudly, opening my eyes to find Joselyn sitting on the wooden table next to me. She’s holding her phone in her hands, her finger tapping the screen. It looks like she’s scrolling through something.

“Goo-”

“Did you text my mom?” She cuts me off and I frown at her. “Because there are some texts here that I have no memory of ever sending her.”

She shows me the log between her and her mom.

“Yeah, she texted you last night and I just to-”

“I’ve read the texts, Ashton. I know you told her I was staying over,” she says, once again interrupting me. “Thank you.”

“No problem. Why do you ke-”

“Why I keep cutting you off?” She asks and when she realizes what she just did, she blushes. “I’m sorry. It’s just that I have class in an hour so I have to go.”

“Have you told anyone about…us?” She asks carefully. “Except for Michael and from what I’ve seen, my mom.” 

It was actually her mom that asked me if we were together when I replied to Joselyn’s text by saying that she would stay the night. I panicked at first but when I glanced at the sleeping girl next to me, I decided I might as well say it. I don’t like to lie.

“No, have you?”

“Nope. Well except for Luke, kind of. And Sarah, I guess.”

“You told Luke?” I turn my head and frown at her, but she keeps her focus on the road.

Once again my car decided to break down (note to self: don’t trust the mechanics), so we had to leave it by the cabin and Joselyn offered me a ride. She’s not much of a driver, keeps her eyes on the road all the time, both hands on the steering wheel and even though this should make me feel safe, it doesn’t. Even I, who usually go way faster than this and usually only have one hand on the wheel, sit tight and hold my breath at every car we passes (those few we actually do pass) and move at every little bump. I don’t want to make her uncomfortable by telling her to speed up a little and let go, to not be so damn tensed, but if I do, I’m scared she will lose focus and something bad will actually happen. What I don’t get is how she’s actually able to keep a conversation going, since the radio is on very, very low volume. I tried turning it up a little but I noticed it ruined her driving mode.

“Mhm,” she presses her lips together.

“Why?”

“I told you; he waited for me after class and wanted to apologize to me and then Sarah asked if he was my boyfriend since I had been trying to reach you during class.”

“You texted me during class?” I ask and she nods. “What a badass.”

She chuckles lightly next to me and stops at the red light. There are no other cars at the stop signs and if I were her, I would just drive instead of waiting for the green light. Just when I’m about to tell her to hit the gas, a truck passes and I close my mouth again. Maybe I should just let her drive.

She drops me off on my street and I ask her if she wants to come up. She reminds me she has to get to class and I kiss her goodbye. I kiss my girlfriend goodbye. It feels good saying those words, I smile to myself. I might sound possessive when I say it, but I like to know how she’s mine. She’s mine, and only mine. And she let me be hers. That is strong for Joselyn, letting someone close in like that. I also know I’m the only one she’s let in and will probably be the only one for a while, but I’m gonna make her realize it’s good to have someone to trust. It’s good to have more than one person to trust. If she learns that tomorrow, in a month or in a year, I don’t mind. As long as I’m there to help her, as long as she lets me love her and as long as she lets me stay.

-

I know this was a short chapter (a filler) and I'm sorry about that. I'm also sorry if there are any mistakes but I've had a lot to do lately and haven't had time to go through my writing as thoroughly as I use to.

There are 2 chapters left + a long author's note. But I can already tell you that I'm working on another fanfic (Luke) and will post the first chapter next week. I will tell you more about it later but I'm really excited about it and I hope you are too! :)

Oh and I need your help...I haven't chosen who to play the girl in my new fanfic yet so I was wondering if maybe you guys could help me? I don't care what color her hair or her eyes are. She can be an alien, I don't mind. But if you have any suggestion, either comment here or send me a message!

You know what to do...