Chapter 29

I quickly shut my eyes close when I hear footsteps approaching. I don’t even know why I keep doing this, I can’t hide forever, but I need some time to prepare what to say. And even if I was supposed to hide forever, I would have to get away from here. You can’t hide from your family in your own house.

“Are you sure?” I hear mom says, and by the sound of it, she’s standing right outside the door.

“Yes, just give me a minute with her.”

Ashton? I open my eyes just in time to see the door open slowly. The person, who I now can see is Ashton, carries a water bottle in one hand and something I can’t detect, in the other.

“Did you stay here all night?”

My words make him jump and he almost drops the water bottle. When he turns around, I see his eyes being wide open, as if he’s seen a ghost.

“Shit, you scared me. I thought you were asleep.”

He walks over to me after nudging the door closed with his foot. My room isn’t that big but it feels like ages before he reaches my bed.

“So you could do what?”

“You make me sound like a pervert. I wasn’t planning on doing anything. I just thought you were asleep, that’s all,” he shrugs and puts the water bottle on the stool next to me. “How are you feeling?”

How am I feeling? That’s a great question people never ask me.

“My head aches and I think I have a fever.”

“Here, let me feel.”

The fever has dropped and my forehead feels almost normal. But when he places his hand on it, he makes it hot again.

“I brought you some aspirin.”

He hands me two pills before sitting down by my desk. He looks tired but not as tired as yesterday. I sit up and swallow the pills without even taking a gulp of the water. Ashton raises an eyebrow at me and I just shrug. It’s one of my secret talents, I guess, not having to drink or eat anything to swallow pills. Can come in handy at times.

“Answer my question.”

“What question?” He frowns at me.

“Did you stay?”

He shifts in his seat and then he nods.

“Your parents let me stay in the spare room.”

“Oh.”

The spare room is a room located right by our living room. I’ve been in there once, and that was when we first moved here. It’s nothing wrong with it, I just haven’t had a reason to go in there. We haven’t used it, until now, and I never thought we would ever use it actually.

Still, I’m a little surprised he stayed at all. He lives pretty close and could easily be here within 15 minutes.

“Like a mini vacation, except that I had to make your little brother breakfast.”

“You made breakfast for Adam?”

He nods.

“Cute little kid. Wants to play Xbox, but I can’t really play. I’m not into video games,” he shakes his head.

That makes sense. He ditched his friends on game night to hang out with me. Still not sure why, but I’m glad he did it. It was a beautiful and peaceful night.

“They want to talk to you.”

I snort. I know they want to talk to me, they always want to talk to me even if they don’t say anything. But that, I don’t say to Ashton.