Chapter 10

Rachel's POV (in her words)

I've never been that adventurous with food. As long as I have someone beside me telling me what each food consists of or how they found the taste, then I'm fine. Tonight, Diane has plans with her man and I'm left to wonder these amazing stalls and surrounding shops. I've bought I few scarves and some gorgeous rings as well as a cute little tote bag to place all my new purchases. I'm missing home a little but I'll be seeing the family in two days' time.

I'm enjoying my fresh watermelon juice and my tummy is calling out to try some different foods. There is a stall selling something that smells very sweet and I'm heading there through a very thick crowd until I spot someone I'm not supposed to see tonight. "Ummm what to do? What to do?? I can't play dead cause there's too many people and I can't stop as the crowd behind me might create complaints that will lead to attention. Ok ok head down and avoid eye contact. Remember... I know him, he doesn't know me. I'm the one that sends the letters. Don't stress, he won't know you" she tried to rationalise things. Actually, I'm at the stall now. I'll just wait in line and pretend to read the menu board that way my back is to the crowd. As I stop, my skin begins to get goose bumps. Feeling it's a little cold... I take out a newly bought scarf and wrap it around my shoulders to settle the coolness in the air. I let my hair down to keep my ears warm. I think I'm safe now... and surely, he would have passed me by now. Shoulders relaxed... I fish for money from my bag and wait for my turn. I am yet to try this sweet food but mmmm it does smell good.

Her turn to order came but she found herself struggling with trying to order. A lovely young boy jumped to help and she politely paid for her food, thanked the young boy and stepped away. Head hanging low from shame of drawing attention, Rachel pretended to put moneyback in her wallet. She felt so embarrassed. She tried to brush away her warm cheeks but waved the thoughts of embarrassment away instead. Soon the incident was just a memory with no emotional attachment. She wished she could speak a few words at the very least..."oh well". I'll laugh about this tomorrow she told herself. As her number was called, she turned around to find a bin to place her now empty juice container in. Just as she placed it in the bin, she smiled at the person beside it standing there waiting. It was just something she did - smiling when she catches a stranger's eye. 'That' particular someone caught her eye. Rachel froze, smile unmoved and then made a sharp turn and quickly went to retrieve her order. She sped out of the crowd very quickly. Her brain was moving too fast and she was determined to free herself from the very moment that just past. It's one thing to have a secret crush on someone but another to see them face to face, upfront and so freely. "Of all the millions of people in the world, and the hundreds of people in this crowd, why did he step into this crowd??" she argued with the universe. It was one thing to be writing letters to someone you have admired and look up to and another to own that type of guilt on your face when you finally meet them. Her mind was now screaming "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!". Time to head back to the hotel she decided, her walking picking up pace. "Oh shoot, Diane!!!" Crap I can't leave until I meet up with Diane. Where is my phone??" she talked to no one. "Hi babe, listen it's a little crazy here and noisy at the markets, I'll meet you back at the hotel". Her message was sent and she found herself casually, but in a rush, heading back to the hotel. Relieved that she dodged a bullet.