Chapter 18

A/N: Can anyone please let me know if I fudged on the info pertaining to the Characters. Such as Hair color et c? I forgot along the way but remembered just now. Unfortunately i'd have to go back and check for inaccuracies. Thanks for the help. :) 

"You wish for my loyalty and yet I still don't see how this will equally benefit the both of us. From what I can see, I will still be given something worth more than my body could provide you."

Mei knew that it made absolutely no sense to someone else about her plans since they involved future paths she planned to walk. Kai was sturdily built, has extensive experience working beneath the simmering sun, and he had a wide scope of potential just waiting for her to crack open. With this Manual that she had created, Kai would easily be able to cultivate until he reached Immortality; as long as he was a little bit smart and capable of gaining his own insights on hers. 

"Mr. Kai, I merely ask for your loyalty in order for you to gain the path to Immortality. This is also a safety measure to protect my 'assets'. The Manual I'm going to give you will be safeguarded with this Contract as well; preventing any other from taking it even in your death. I wouldn't want this information to get out, especially into the wrong hands."

He nodded his head and pulled the paper towards himself carefully. When Mei glanced at his large calloused hands she noticed that he had used a nail on his finger to pull the paper at the corner. Clever. Unfortunately, he is wasting his time since I'm not trying to kill him but it's nice to know that he's overly cautious. 

Kai read the paper, glanced up and stared at Mei for a while before grunting and looking back down. 

"I agree," he paused to let Mei digest his acquiescence before kneeling on the ground and reading the contract out loud.

"I, Lee Kai Wei, humbly kneel before the Heavens and beseech you to grant this humble one help in completing a Secrecy Soul Contract," storm clouds seemed to be gathering in the distance and obscured the sun behind them as he continued, "I serve, Mei Jiao Yang, until she severs our bonds or unto death. Should I be dishonest or disloyal, may the Heavens punish this lowly one with its wrath. Mei Jiao Yang will give over the tools this one needs in order to reach Immortality in exchange for this ones undying loyalty. So I say, so mote it be."

At that moment the Heavens opened up and a downpour of rain drenched the lands. Mei seemed to not feel the rain soaking her clothes as she kept her eyes on Kai. Senri was running in from the training courtyard with an armament umbrella made from a skilled refiner. He was halfway to the two people when a blue lightning streaked down from the dark clouds and struck the both of them.

Senri cried out in fear but all he could do was stare at the two outlines within the blinding light. It seemed to last forever but was merely the blink of an eye. Mei was limp in her chair with her eyes partly open and her chest heaving for air. Sweat gathered on her skin but was washed away by the steady rain. Kai was no better and had unfortunately fallen into the muddy ground he had previously been kneeling on. Both hands plunged into the moist earth in order to keep himself 'upright'. 

"Young Miss, Young Miss! Don't frighten me like this! Aiyoo! Look at everything! All that hard work washed away. The Heavens seem really angry today. Young Miss, please get inside and out of these wet clothes," he held the umbrella above her head and glanced over to their guest and noticed his muddy appearance, "Mr. Kai, sir, Boatman... Honored Guest. Please go into the spare room and change into a dry set of clothing that will be sent over."

(A/N: I'd like to just point out that this story does reference a lot of Chinese names, sayings, et c but I'm actually mixing them around. Such as the names usually are said with the last name first when speaking but I've switched it around to 'first.middle.last' So, if you are confused on some 'mistakes' then I assure you that I'm doing it purposefully. Much the same can be said for how they address themselves, how they address servants, et c. Sorry if you are confused.)