Eighteen: Rendezvous

Ava

"Again!" I yelled making Liana's head fall as sweat dripped off her. It was now five in the evening, the Alphas at work and I had her running laps in human form. She was on mile five and she needed to get to six in less than two minutes.

"I can't." she cried out as she fell to her knees, wheezing.

"Can't or won't?" I asked from where I stood in the center of the lap track.

"I can't!" she yelled. Her breaths came in gasps.

"You think you can just give up! Is that going to make you stronger? Do you want to be laughed at for the rest of your life with no way to defend yourself?" I yelled. She looked at, her eyes pitch black. I smiled as she stood.

"Run." I said, and she took off. Her legs kicked faster than they had all afternoon and I knew she would become exactly who she wanted to be.

"Thank you, Miss Luna, I needed that." She said as she wiped the sweat and dirt from her face.

"You did good. Tomorrow, same time." I said. She nodded and turned to leave before she paused. Then she turned and wrapped her arms gently around me.

"I'm glad you are okay. I was so scared that McElroy had harmed you beyond repair. And all you did was banish him. I mean, just because his Mate died in the battle that night, it wasn't your fault you know." She said, one sentence catching my attention the most.

"What did you say?" I asked.

"His Mate, Lupis Alpha's son killed her for attacking his mother. It is saddening, and I couldn't imagine the pain of losing my other half." She said, her face falling with her words. Then she shook her head "But we were the ones that attacked you guys, so we have no right to be upset at losses caused by our previous misconceptions!" she cried out, gesturing with her hands animatedly.

"Misconceptions?" I asked. She looked at me wide eyed.

"You didn't know? The previous Alpha used to tell the pack stories of the 'terrible Lupis Pack' and how they would kill anyone that even looked at them wrong. That they were ruthless blood thirsty murderers. But there was never any proof of that, and we should have known it. Then you came, and everyone was so angry that the Alphas were both Mated to a 'murdering wretch'. I didn't think like that Luna I swear! But everyone else wanted to be angry because of our losses! Everyone wanted to hate you, but then you protected the pups, and you were so kind to everyone, and they realized that the previous Alpha had just been a liar. Though it wasn't hard to come to that conclusion considering he was such a cruel man.

"And now everyone loves you. Even my own father. He feels terrible for attacking you the day you got here but he lost his son. I loved my brother, but I can't hate you or your previous pack. They were protecting their loved ones. How can we hate you for that?" she finished with tears in her eyes. I smiled softly at her and wrapped my arms around her. She hugged me tightly as she shed tears for her brother.

"I'm sorry Liana." I said. I couldn't imagine losing my brother. He may be a brat and extremely annoying at times, but I still loved him. The realization hit me then that I hadn't spoken with them since I had gotten here. And I didn't have any reception to call them. I cursed inwardly as Liana and I started walking back to the pack grounds. I would have to contact them tonight.

Liana and I parted ways but instead of going to the Alpha house I kept walking. Hiding behind the barn before I stripped and shifted. Grabbing my folded clothes with my teeth I took off in a run.