Twenty-Two: Mark Me

Twenty-Two: Mark Me

Ava

"How? What? HUH?" Elijah couldn't seem to wrap his brain around what I had just said, now pacing the room. Emilio sat on the bed, his head braced on his hands.

"I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, it's just that with everything going on, our pasts and present wasn't ready for you to know. I know it seems like I was hiding it, but I was just waiting to tell you." Emilio looked at me then and I froze. He looked so...disappointed, nearly disgusted.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"You know I can't tell you th-"

"What is your name!?" his voice seemed raspy as he yelled, and I flinched.

"Emilio, you know their names can't be revealed to anybody. It's protocol."

"I don't give a damn about protocol Elijah! She hid this. From us. Her Mates. We've hid nothing from her! She can't be trusted." He said as he stood in front of me. "Unlike you we can be trusted. Now what is your name?" His green eyes burned into mine, ordering me to tell him. I closed my eyes.

"My name is...Pantherea." Emilio's eyes narrowed, and Elijah's hands went into his hair.

"Shit." Elijah muttered.

"You know, if I wasn't so angry with you right now I might praise you for being the best Hunter in existence, but I just can't find it in me." Emilio turned and closed the bedroom door with a slam.

"Elijah! Work!" I jumped at the boom Emilio's voice had even through the bedroom door. Elijah didn't even look at me as he ran after Emilio.

The sound of the front door slamming shut made me flinch, and before I could catch myself my legs caved in. What had I done? They were right. They never hid who they were, or anything else from me, but I had hidden this. Why? Because I liked what I did, and I feared they would ask me to stop. And I would stop, because I cared for them and only wanted to make them happy.

Then I felt an anger rise inside me. I may have made a mistake, but Emilio had no right to be so harsh on me. He acted as if I was a murderer because of what I did, but I wasn't. My skill set had nothing to do with death. And I wasn't going to bow my head and bite my tongue about him walking out on me in the middle of our fight. That wasn't going to solve anything.

With new found energy I stood and decided to take my time. I knew where they would be all day, I had time. I relaxed under the hot shower, washing my hair and body a little extra then normal. They would regret how they treated me, and though this was a stretch, I knew how to get to them. I entered the closet and wondered just exactly I should wear.

I hummed the whole drive down the mountainside, feeling a sense of cockiness. They had no idea what was coming to them. I found their office quite easily considering it was the tallest building in the small town. I parked in the spot open right next to my Mates'. I walked into the building to find a young male receptionist sitting at the desk. He looked up to give the usual monotone greeting but froze, eyes wide.

"H-How can I help you?" he asked, his face turning red. I smiled.

"I'm here to see the Amanti twins. Can you direct me to their office please?" I asked, putting extra sweetness in my voice.

"U-uh, yes of course they are on the top floor, suite one." He said pointing towards the elevators.

"Thank you so much." I said as I sauntered to the elevators. I waited patiently as it brought to the top floor, 20. The elevator dinged signaling it was time for me to exit. It was silent on the top floor, the only doors labeled Amani Office. They had no receptionist her either. Huh, guess no one bothered them up here.