One Shot 17: Broken Heart

I sip on my butterbeer, the white froth deciding to stay on my upper lip as I drink it's contents to my delight. I smile at the person across of me, who so kindly took some time off work for us both to catch up with our lives.

"Thank you, Draco, really. It's been a long time since we hung out." I tell him sincerely, with a hint of a giggle in my voice. He looked just as he did when we were back continuation of our seventh year at Hogwarts, which was after the war, still handsome, no doubt about that.

"When was that? Since we graduated?" He asked, his brows furrowing as he tried to remember. I laugh at his expression, which I found really cute ever since I met him.

"Yeah. Seventh year." I confirm as soon as the laughter died down. If only every day is just like this. The both of us, laughing and enjoying every minute spent together, with mugs of butterbeer. I looked at him to see that he had grown some wrinkles on the sides of his mouth and some on his eyes. So, he had been smiling lately.

"So, how have you been?" He snaps me out of my trance, which I hoped he didn't notice. But by the chuckle that left his soft, pink lips, I knew I was screwed.

"I've been good, actually. I started working in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes on behalf of Fred. Helping out with the sales and all that." I say with a small smile. The departure of Fred has affected me deeply, especially because I've seen him as my big brother for six years.

"I'm sorry." He said, grabbing my hand which was atop of the table and squeezed it gently.

"It's alright. I saw you, at his funeral." I tell him as his eyes widened.

"So, now, enough about me, how about you? I noticed that you've been all smiley lately. What's up?" I ask him with a wide smile, knowing that he wouldn't mind the change in the topic.

"Uh, well. This may be a lot to take in, but, um. Well, I'm engaged! You're the first one to know." He said with the biggest smile I've ever seen on him and my heart broke. I've loved Draco ever since I met him, which was ten years ago. I put on a fake smile, trying to mimic his happiness. Then, I knew I lost my chance. My chance to tell him how I felt. I had years to, but I was too scared to do so.

"Congratulations! So, who's the lucky girl?" I tried so hard to not break down in front of him.

"Astoria. Astoria Greengrass." He said. On his face was the smile I dreamed he would have when he was talking about me. But it will never happen. I looked at the clock, trying to make out an excuse for me to get out of this awkward situation.

"Oh goodness! George is meeting me at the shop in two minutes! I'm sorry but I've got to run." I tell him, packing up my bag.

"Oh sure! I'll just send you a letter for the engagement party." He said, grabbing his bag too.

"So, uh, I'll see you around." I tell him as I try to avoid letting a tear spill.

"Yeah. See you." He said with a smile and I took off. I left, with sadly, a broken heart.

- - -
i missed my update schedule once again. i'm sorry. i might be updating more today so... watch out for it!!

- Chie❤