Chapter 31: Messed Up

"Draco! Give me back my book!" I whine, jumping as high as I can to grab the book in his right hand. The more I jump, the higher he holds the book above me.

"Nope. Not happening. Not unless you give me your full attention." He says, his smirk growing bigger. Oh, how I want to slap that smirk off his face as hard as I can. Probably until it sticks to the nearby wall.

"You want attention, here you go." I sigh with my arms crossed.

"What do you want this time?" I ask him as he lowers down his hand.

"I just want to know what's going on in my bestfriend's life! Is that too much to ask?" He says, handing the book over to me. I held my breath. I can't tell him. If I do, everything would go downhill. I'm sure of it.

"Nothing special. Now, can you leave me alone? I want to finish this tonight." I say, plopping down the couch and opening the book.

"Y/n, you just seem so distant lately. What's wrong?" He asks, taking a seat closest to the couch I'm in.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm fine, Draco." I reply coldly, not taking my eyes off the book.

"Y/n, you're reading the book upside down. I can tell that something's wrong." I widen my eyes in realization and mentally curse myself.

"Why do you want to know so badly?" I snap.

"Because I care about you! A lot!" I was taken aback. What did he say?

"What?"

"Y/n. I care about you, okay? You were the only person who saw the worst of me and never backed away. You were the only person who accepted me for who I truly am." His breathing quickens, and he pants after the sudden outburst. Now, I feel bad. Maybe he feels the way I feel about him.

"Draco, I love you." I blurt out.

"Y/n, I know." He says with a soft smile.

"No, Dray. You don't understand. I love you more than just a bestfriend." As soon as those last few words left my mouth, he steps back. I close my eyes, fear taking in after a few seconds of silence.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. I don't feel the same way about you."

The world stopped spinning. I feel dizzy. I feel suffocated. I feel weak. I couldn't move anything. I couldn't stop the tears from falling.

"Y/n, I love you. But not in that way. I'm sorry." I look up at him. Shock took over his face.

It's done. It's over. Ten years of friendship all over, all because of the words I've let go.

"Excuse me." I say coldly. I make my way upstairs to the girls dormitories. I feel his hand on my wrist, stopping me.

"I'm sorry, Dray. I just need some time alone." I tell him without looking back.

Fuck. I messed up.