Chapter 9, Not Just A Game

-Grayson-

I generally don't enjoy watching football games all that much, but this one was different. Sorry for all you football fans, but watching guys wrestle each other and hurt themselves trying to get the ball down the field isn't really my thing. (Although it is kind of nice to see all the guys looking so buff and trying to show off to all the cheerleaders, it's kind of funny actually.) But I came to the homecoming game because I didn't want to look like a party pooper and I promised Lily I'd watch her in the marching band. 

Turns out, it really wasn't that bad. Lily was able to sit and watch most of the game with me during her breaks and it was really nice. I'll have to be honest, Lily's a really cool girl. She understands me so well and I feel like she always knows exactly what I'm thinking. Her mood affects everyone around her, and I'll do anything to make her smile because it makes me happy too. 

Lily plops back down into her seat, giving me half a pretzel. 

"For me?" I ask.

"No, I got it for you to feed to the birds," she teases. Haha, very funny Lily. I smile and shove it all in my mouth at once.

"Too late..." I say through a mouthful of pretzel. She bends over laughing, lightly punching me in the arm. 

"Oww!" I pretend yelp. 

"Oh stop it!" she shoves me again, making a smile creep onto my face. I looked at how happy she was. I hope there'll be someone out there who'll make her that happy when she's older. I'm just sorry I probably won't be that person, she deserves someone better. But for now, I'll just enjoy the moment and worry about everything after Homecoming.

"GO JACK!!!!" she whoops as Jack intercepts the football and runs off towards the end zone. Man, that kid really had some speed! He was such a great football player, even for a freshman. Plus, I love to see Lily all amped up like this, she acts all non-sportsy but when she's at an actual game she's totally into it. 

"TOUCHDOWN!" she screams, jumping up from her seat and spinning around in a circle.

"Wasn't that amazing!?" she asks me.

"Uh... yeah but... what's a touchdown?" I tease. This is kind of our thing, we like to tease each other... some of the two brightest kids in our year playing dumb. It's pretty great. 

"You're such a nerd!" she giggles, pushing up my glasses. I smile and hug her, but even some of the best things don't last forever.