Chapter 31, I Haven't Forgotten You

-Lily-

I was surprised the next morning when I received a text from not Jack, but from my best friend Abby. If I was completely honest, I've been so busy with all the boys... Jack, Grayson, and Will that I hadn't spent much time... much less even thought about her. And now I feel like a complete jerk for not spending more time with her. We've been together since 2nd grade, and here we were finishing our first year of High School and we had hardly even talked to each other ever since I started dating Jack. I looked up at the Hawkeye painting she made me at the beginning of the year, still hanging up on the bulletin board in my room. She'd worked so hard on it, and there wasn't even a special occasion for giving it to me, it was just for our friendship... that's the kind of person she was, we do things for each other. I glanced down at my phone.

Abby: Uh... Hey, if you're not too busy with Jack, wanna hang out this weekend? 

I smiled at my phone. it felt like forever since we've gone anywhere together outside of school, but I could still remember the countless sleepovers we used to have together when we were middle schoolers. 

Lily: Sure! What do you have in mind? 

Abby: Sleepover at my house? 

Lily: Perfect, I don't have any plans this weekend so let's do it! 

After making sure my mom could take me over to her house, I began packing my suitcase with everything I might need. It seemed like no matter how long I spend packing though, I always forget something, and I don't realize it until I get there. I ran through the list in my head another time.

Extra set of clothes? Check.

Pillows and blankets? Check.

Pajamas? Check.

Book(s) and reading light? Check.

Pads or Tampons? Check.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when my phone buzzed with another text.

"What is it now Abby? Want me to bring popcorn too?" I mumbled, turning on my phone. I squinted at my screen, this time receiving something from Jack. 

Jack: hey! wanna hang this weekend?

I sighed, twirling the phone in my hands. I really did want to do something this weekend with him... but that would mean I'd have to cancel my plans with Abby. Maybe I could ask her if he could join us? Nah, she'd be extremely annoyed with me, and she'd automatically be the third wheel, even though we'd be at her house. I sighed and texted him back.

Lily: I'm sorry Jack, I already made plans with Abby. :(

Jack: its ok, shes ur best friend right? 

I stared at the screen a little longer. Wow, I seriously reached a new level of low. I never wanted to be one of those girls who was super attached to her boyfriend, and here I was... almost forgetting about my best friend and my boyfriend hardly knows who she is. 

Lily: Yeah. :) I haven't seen her in a while.

Jack: alright! well have fun princess!  

I smiled and grabbed my suitcase and sleeping bag, heading downstairs.

***

As soon as I walked in the door, I was bombarded with a hug from Abby and licking from her dog, Sunny. I laughed, dropping my stuff and bending down to pet the dog.

"Hey, Sunny boy! How are you?" I cooed, scratching behind his ear. 

"So the dog's more important than me too now?" Abby smirked with her arms crossed.