Chapter 14, What's The Status?

-Lily-

I never expected my first kiss to be in a hospital room in the presence of a seven-year-old, but hey... what can I say? I don't regret it one bit, our kiss was the most amazing thing I'd ever done in my life. Once we had finally stopped laughing, Jack's brother decided to interrupt us again.

"Hey, are you guys dating?" he asked. Jack and I looked at each other with a questionable glance. 

"Yeah, I guess we are," I smiled.

"I'm going to tell mommy!!" Liam yelled, bouncing up and down the best he could with a broken leg. Jack smiled sheepishly, looking back at me with a twinkle in his eyes.

"But Lily, what abou-" Jack began, but I interrupted him.

"I'll fill in more details later Jack, but Grayson and I aren't together anymore, so I'm all yours," I smiled again, pecking him on the cheek as he blushed.

"I'll see you around," I smiled, walking out the door with a crazy grin on my face. 

-Jack-

When I got home, my phone lit up with texts from Lily. I smiled to myself.

Lily: So... how did your brother break his leg playing soccer anyway?

Jack: haha its a long story

Lily: Lol, okay.

Jack: so we're dating now???

Lily: If... that's alright with you...

Jack: oh trust me, its more than alright

I lean back in my chair, sighing with relief. Even though I was happy, a million questions were swirling through my head. Why did Lily and Grayson break up? What made her realize she loved me? How long had she known? And most of all... what did I do to deserve that beautiful girl? I don't know the answer to any of them, but I thought it best not to ask her... at least, not yet.

-Grayson-

I trudged back home, wanting nothing more than to be in my room, playing some video game away from my cruel thoughts in my brain. Apparently I was sending off angry looks to every person I passed, but I didn't realize until someone actually said something.

"Woah! Dude I was just walking..." a boy named Will said, my friend who lived a few doors down.

"Uh... sorry," I mumbled, giving him an apologetic look. 

Finally I was home, but once I was in my room I realized I would probably be left with myself again... and being left alone wasn't good for me, not right now. 

I paced my room, holding the phone in my shaking hands. I'd texted Lily exactly 21 times in the course of 3 hours but she still hasn't responded, and she almost always responds lightning fast. 

Grayson: Lily, I'm so sorry, please forgive me. 

Grayson: Lily, I'm begging you...

Grayson: I still want to be friends please respond

Grayson: It's hard for me too, y'know

Grayson: Lily... please 

Grayson: Where are you? Are you alright?

My messages were a combination of these, and I was beginning to worry. I hadn't meant to hurt Lily's feelings but I guess I had, and I still wanted to be friends. She was the first person I ever came out to and then she just ran away. If everyone is going to have a reaction like that when I tell them, I'll hate myself. Oh, wait... I already do hate myself. I banged my head against the wall, sliding to the floor. Why couldn't life just be simpler? Lily has a perfect family, while I hardly ever saw my parents. Lily is as straight as a line while I'm as straight as... well, a circle. Why couldn't life be simpler? Why couldn't life just be... fair?