Chapter 22, Back to Life... Back to Reality

-Grayson-

I woke up to an ache throughout my entire body. I felt drowsy and not quite conscious, but I could hear the soft murmur of voices around me, and I knew I had to get out of this peaceful rest. I didn't want to rejoin the pain and depression, but I knew there were people who loved me... and they were waiting for me to resurface. I used all of my power to push out of my drugged rest and opened my eyes. I was greeted by this bright white light, it was almost blinding. I looked down at myself, seeing my arm was in a sling, there were bandages on my arms and I was wearing I white gown with tiny blue polka-dots. Looking around me I saw a mostly white-walled room with a TV and a door that must've led to the bathroom. I noticed I was lying on a bed, with a monitor next to it. I was in a hospital room. Suddenly, all the memories came flooding back to me. The bully, his bodyguards, the punching. I wondered how I'd gotten from the park to here, but as I looked to one corner of the room I found my answer. Sitting there, were two of my best friends... Lily and Jack. 

"How are you feeling?" Jack asked, moving his chair closer to the bed.

"Better..." I admitted. "Er... did you guys bring me here?"

"Yeah... Grayson, what happened to you?" I heard Lily say as she got up and walked over with her chair. Once she was settled in her spot, she and Jack locked hands together. It hurt to watch, but I was glad to see them happy together. 

"Well... I guess you deserve to know," I sighed, launching into the full story of everything that had happened between me and the huge senior kid. Every once in a while, Lily would gasp or her and Jack would share a glance together. It hurt to revisit those terrible memories, but I had to tell them at one point.

"How could anyone do such a thing...?" Lily mumbled, placing a hand over her mouth and wiping a few tears from her cheeks.

"People are mean..." I shrugged but immediately regretted the action as a firey feeling tingled up my arm. 

"Not everyone is like that Grayson..." Lily said sadly. I nodded in response. 

"Oh, I gotta go... my mom wants me back. Bye Grayson! I hope you get better soon!" Lily gave me a sad smile, looking up from her phone and slowly walking out the door. After she left, I looked back to Jack.

Why is it that the only time I get to be alone with him, I'm in a hospital bed? I blushed a little, looking up into his eyes.

"Do... do you think there'll ever be anyone out there for me?" I asked quietly.

Jack nodded, "I do... and I have a feeling you'll meet them soon."

"Really?"

"Really," he smiled at me, patting my arm like I was a little kid. Then I realized in this situation, he was the stronger person. "Your parents just left, but I'm sure they'll be here soon once they hear that you're up. I'll see you around Grayson," he smiled once more, getting up and heading out the door.