Chapter 30, You'll Have to Convince Me

-Lily-

I heard a quite ker-splat, ker-splat, bang, bang, in my room. I then noticed rocks coming up at my window and I quickly stood up, looking out the window to investigate. Big surprise, Jack was out there... throwing up rocks and waving in my front yard. What was he doing? I opened the window and hissed.

"What in heavens name are you doing?"

"I have a surprise for you!" he whisper-yelled up to my window. 

I sighed, squinting at him. 

"Why now?" I hissed back.

"Don't you know what's tonight!?"

Oh my gosh... of course I knew what was tonight but there's no way in heavens name we're going. Prom was only for the seniors, and the staff always made that very clear. I wasn't about to break the rules with only a few weeks of school left.

"No! We are not going!"  I yelled.

"C'mon! It'll be fun!"

"No."

"Yes!"

"No."

"Oh Rapunzel, will you please let down your hair?" He cried, placing one hand over his heart and gesturing to me with the other. Oh my god, this was so embarrassing. 

"For the last time, no!" I sighed, it was so hard to argue with him sometimes.

"Would you please just come down?" he pouted.

"Fine..." I grumbled, walking down the stairs and out the front door.

He smirked at me with his arms crossed.

"So the princess finally arrives!" he teased.

I rolled my eyes, "What do you want?"

"To take my fair lady to the prom of course!" he took my hand in his and kissed it.

"Don't you think there would have been an easier way to ask me?" I said.

"Like what?"

"Oh, I don't know... text?"

"But then you wouldn't have said yes."

"And you think I'll say yes now?"

"Well... I walked all this way," he gave me the puppy dog eyes that were so cute and ridiculous I almost broke out laughing.

"We're seriously like... a few blocks away from each other," I raised an eyebrow.

"Honestly Lily, please?" he asked.

"No!" I huffed, crossing my arms. You know me! I'm not about to break the rules! 

"Fine..." he sighed, his shoulders slumping. "Guess I'll just go ask Savannah..." he started to walk off and my stomach boiled with anger as I clench my fists.

"Savannah!?!" I screamed. Savannah was this cute popular chick that thought she was better than everyone else, who I absolutely despised, but I knew Jack once had a crush on her a while ago. 

"Well yeah, cause if you don't go I'll have nobody else to go with!" he reasoned. 

"Well, you are not going with her!" I yelled, pulling back on his shirt. 

"And why not?"

"Because I'm your girlfriend! And if you went with her you'd be cheating on me!" I stood my ground, clenching and unclenching my fists.

"So then I guess we're breaking up?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Wait... what? No that's not what I said! Why would we break up?"

"Well... you don't want to go to prom with me..."

"No... Jack, of course, I want to go to prom with you... just... when we're seniors. When it's allowed!"

"It still feels like a rejection..." he frowned, turning and walking away.

"Wait! Jack I-" he turned back to face me.

"Yeah?"

"I'll go." I sighed, a smile coming onto my face.

"I knew you'd say yes," he sighed of relief, coming over to hug me. "Cmon, let's go..." he smiled, leading me to the bus stop.

-Jack-

Neither of us was dressed fancy, so we already looked like oddballs. Not to mention we were at least a foot shorter than everyone else, so that didn't help either. It didn't matter to me though, because Lily still looked hot in anything. I think Lily caught me staring at her cause she asked.

"What're you staring at?"

"Hmm? Oh nothing... I was just looking at the punch bowl over there, do you want anything to drink?"

"Nah, I think I'm fine... in the movies, whenever the guy goes to get the girl a drink something bad always happens to the girl," she smiled, nudging me playfully. 

"Either that or the girl then secretly sneaks off into the bathroom to change into a different outfit and goes off to dance with some other guy, before saying she has to go to the bathroom again," I smirked.

"Then I guess it'll be better if neither of us leaves," she agreed, taking my arm.

"Guess you're just stuck with me forever!" 

"Forever," she smiled, kissing my cheek lightly.

I led her to the middle of the dance floor, and we swayed back and forth together for a little while, her arm wrapped around my neck and my hand placed on her white shorts. 

"You know I never would've come with Savannah, right?" I leaned down and whispered in her ear.

"Yeah, I just wanted to see how far you'd go to convince me, and how hard you'd try," she smirked.

"Oh my god..." I laughed.

We danced together for three songs, including "Perfect," "I Choose You," and "Younger." But then we started getting all these weird stares from the seniors, and it looked like the adults were giving us the death glare. 

"Uh... should we go?" Lily asked, looking around the room again.

"Yeah... let's go," I whispered, taking her hand and dragging her out of the gym. 

"That was awesome!" she laughed as we got outside.

"I know, right!?" I agreed.

"And you didn't want to go!"

"Well, that wasn't nearly as bad as I expected," she said.

"Oh?"

"Yeah! I mean, I was thinking we would have to like... drop down from the roof or sneak in," she giggled.

"Well I mean... we can do that if you want," I smiled, raising an eyebrow. 

"No!" she playfully slapped me on the shoulder. "Don't even think about it, mister!" 

"Okay, okay," I grinned.

"But... I really did have a fun time," she smiled and kissed me. I held her for a few minutes, enjoying every second as we kissed in the school's parking lot. It was perfect, there was a calm breeze blowing and a few stars had already come out. 

"I had a fun time too," I sighed happily.

"Maybe... in a few years from now we'll do it again when we're seniors," she said.

"Yeah! You can count on that," I agreed, leading her back home after one thrilling night.