Chapter 11, Say What Now?

-Jack-

I left the homecoming dance early. I couldn't stand watching Grayson and Lily together... it was just too much torture. Funny how much your life can change when you realize you've met your special someone. I felt as if my life revolved around her, and we weren't even together. All my thoughts found nothing to wrap their vines around except her. Her face, her smile, her laugh. It  simply couldn't be replaced. And yet... I couldn't bear to look at her. I wanted her to come over to my house this Tuesday night to work on our project, but at the same time, I was afraid my anger and feelings might slip. I couldn't let that happen. 

So, I texted her as soon as I could. 

Jack: hey lily, you don't have 2 come over tonight.

I sighed, waiting for her to respond. She did.

Lily: What? Why?

Jack: i have 2 watch my little brother's soccer game tonight 

I replied. Which wasn't a lie, my brother did have a game tonight but I didn't have to go if I didn't want to. 

Lily: Oh, alright then. ;)

I sighed again, leaning my head back into the bus seat. If only she knew... what would happen?

-Lily-

As you could probably tell from my face during the dance, it was probably one of the best nights of my life. School seemed to drag on more than usual, and new seats in Math... (causing me to move away from Grayson) didn't lighten my mood. I felt so relieved on the bus ride home. School was finally over for the day, and because Jack didn't want me to come over, I'd made plans with Grayson to hang out at his house. If you couldn't guess, I can't wait. 

He opens the door before I could knock and smiles. Although even though he was smiling, something seemed... off.

"Hello Lily," he waved for me to step inside. 

The house was still the exact same as I remembered, which was no surprise but it felt good to be back. We sat down on the couch, relaxing into the comfy cushions. 

"Listen... we uh, we need to talk," he said. Uh-Oh. Conversations that started with "We need to talk," hardly ever end well. 

"You can tell me anything," I said, trying not to sound too nervous.

"Lily, I just want you to know I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have let you believe it in the first place. But, I can't let this go any further," he said quietly. 

"What... what do you mean?" I choked, trying to absorb what he was saying.

"You, me, us... together. It can't happen anymore," he sighed.

"What did I do wrong?" I sobbed, my voice breaking a little.

"It... it's not you, it's me," he said, sounding apologetic. 

"So what? Are you just going to dump me without any explanation? Say that you're the one with the problem? But just go?" I yelled, my voice rising in anger. 

"Lily... please calm down..." 

"Well did you expect me to leave that easily? I demand an explanation!" I yelled again.

"Lily..." he shuttered a little, "Lily... I... I'm gay."

"...What?"