Chapter 10, Shut Up and Dance With Me

-Lily-

First thing's first, the homecoming game was AWESOME! I didn't make any mistakes in the band, I got to sit next to Grayson, and my friend Jack was amazing on the field! Plus, our school won so everyone was in a good mood afterward. After the game, I quickly rushed home to throw on a cute dress and brush on a bit of makeup. Who knows what will happen at the dance?

When I arrive, most of the people were already there. There was a table in the corner with all the popular girls who were giggling and gossiping as they refused to dance with some of the nerds that asked them too. I rolled my eyes at that crowd, looking over to the wall where a bunch of girls and guys were hunched up against it, watching everyone dance and looking depressed. Here's the thing with those people... why bother coming when you're just going to sulk around the entire time? Over at another table was where the football players sat. They had changed out of their gear and into stunning tuxedos. Not to be stereotypical, but basically, everything was exactly like a high school dance at any other high school. You had the nerds, jocks, preps, popular people, and of course... the weirdos. 

Suddenly Grayson walks up to me, seeming to appear out of thin air. He looks absolutely handsome, as usual. But today I think the butterflies in my stomach doubled. His eyes twinkled behind his glasses and his freckles seemed to dance across his face. I know this sounds cheesy, but it felt as if my brain just stopped. 

"Hey, princess," he smiled at me, grabbing my hand.

"Greetings young sir," I responded, acting all lady-like.

"Oh, so what? We're kings and queens now?" he smirked.

"Oh pish posh, how could you call yourself a king? You have the looks of a simple peasant," I lied, trying to contain my giggles.

"A peasant you say? But my lady... hasn't your mother told you? Thou shall not lie," he smirked. Darn, he knew too much for his own good. 

Then the music changed to the song "Shut Up and Dance With Me," and we looked at each other and smiled as if sharing the same thought.

"Care to share a dance, my young prince?" I asked, holding out my hand.

"The prince agrees," he smirked, taking my hand and leading us out onto the dance floor. 

For this song, we kind of just circled around each other, doing stupid moves like The sprinkler and The Robot. We probably looked like the weirdest couple out there, but I still had a bunch of fun. Afterward, the song changed into Perfect by Ed Sheeran. Grayson surprised me by taking my waist and twirling me around. I pulled myself closer to him, leaning my head against his chest as we spun in a circle. 

"You do look amazing tonight..." I mumble. 

"You're not too bad yourself," he whispered back. I smiled into his chest. At that moment I ignored everything around me. The people staring at us seemed miles away. It was just us. He and I. And everything was exactly how the song described it... perfect.