The Pied Piper

OK SO THIS IS MY FIRST STORY. IT IS BASED ON OUAT BUT TAKES PLACE BEFORE THE WHOLE HEART OF THE TRUEST BELIEVER BUSINESS. THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING!!!!!

(A/N: Please keep in mind that I wrote this when I was in middle school and that's why it's so ridiculous haha *vomits from cringing so hard*)

I drew an arrow from the quiver on my back as quietly as I could. Not once taking my eyes off the deer that I had been stalking all day. I notched the arrow and drew the string back. Deer are beautiful animals, and I hated killing them. But my family has to eat too. I took a breath and let the arrow fly. Bullseye! I jumped down from the tree I was perched in and walked to the dead animal. I knelt down to it and pulled out my dagger.

"Thank you." I whispered.

I skinned and gutted the deer, then packaged the meat and shoved it in my knapsack. After shouldering my pack, I began to hike back to the cottage in which me, my mother, and my little brother lived. I inhaled deeply through my nose, taking in all the sharp scents of the forest. My father and I used to come out into the forest to explore and hunt everyday. Now it felt like my second home.

I finally emerged from the trees and my family's small cottage came into view. My father built it smack dab in the middle of the woods, just outside the village of Hamelin. The area was a hidden gem. Plenty of food sources, peaceful setting, and beautiful scenery. Living in this part of the Enchanted Forest definitely had its perks. As I stepped inside, the aroma of freshly baked bread washed over me. I smiled to myself. I removed my quiver and set it down with my bow next the door along with my knapsack. I slipped my dark green cloak off my shoulders and hung it on the hook on the wall. My father had given it to me when I was 4 years old, after I had woken up screaming from a nightmare. He said it would always keep me warm and safe.

"Mom! Sam! I'm back!" I yelled.

Seconds later, I heard footsteps racing down the stairs. My 8 year old brother, Samuel, darted down the steps and into my arms.

"Ava! What took you so long!" he chimed, beaming at me with huge blue eyes. I ruffled his blonde hair. It was slightly startling how much he looked like our late father. Everyone says he looks just like him and that I look just like our mother.

"Sorry I was out so long. But I brought back dinner!" I pulled the deer meat from my knapsack. Sam and I then went outside to prepare dinner. While I cooked the meat, he showed me all the fruits and plants he gathered that day. We discussed how each others day was and I asked him how his lessons were going. Sam had recently convinced me to teach him to read, write, hunt, and navigate through the woods. Just like father had taught me.

When the meat was cooked, we approached the cottage again to set the table. My mother beamed at us when we entered the kitchen. Our mother was a plain woman, but she had a kind heart. Flour covered her blue dress and her wavy brown hair fell down her back. She set two loaves of bread on the table. I set down the meat and my brother set down the fruits and plants. That's how everyday went. I left every morning to hunt for game, Sam gathered plants and herbs( I didn't trust him to handle a weapon without my supervision yet), and my mother baked. And then after dinner I would teach a new lesson to Sam or tell him a story.

After supper, Sam and I went outside to get in some combat practice. I shot my bow at targets hanging from trees and Sam threw knives at his own targets. He was an excellent knife thrower and rather quick when it came to hand to hand. When the sun began to set, we went back into the cottage and I prepared Sam for bed. After tucking him in, I told him one of his favorite stories: The Blue Belt.

I sat on my bed that night, looking through my father's book by the glow of candlelight. When I was 9 years old, my father went on a hunting trip at sunset. Saying that he would return in the morning, he rode off into the night on his favorite horse. The next morning, his horse returned but he didn't. My mother said that he was most likely killed by theives, but I knew better. That morning I found his book and his sword on my bed. My fathers book contained information on rare plants, herbal remedies, poisons and their antidotes, maps of foreign lands, star charts, a few spells and potion recipes, and journal entries. He was always a lover of knowledge and wanted to document everything that he learned. Every night I look through it, memorizing the spells, tracing the star constelations with my fingers, reading the journal entries until tears rimmed my eyes. I had added my own information to the book and it was one of my most prized possesions.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. Sam enetered, his expression was wild and awed. What had woken him up?

"Ava, do you hear that?" he asked.

I listened hard but didn't hear anything other than the breeze rustling the trees.

"No. What is it? Is something wrong?" I asked alarmed.

"No, not at all! Let's go and find out where that music is coming from!" he said excited.

"What? There is no music, Sam. Go back to bed." I scolded.

"Yes there is! It sounds like it's from a pipe! Come on lets investigate!" he said tugging on my arm.

"I don't hear anything, just go back to sleep." I said annoyed.

He pouted but went back to his room. I closed the book and blew out my candle. I let myself drift to sleep to the sound of crickets chriping outside.

THANKS FOR READING AND DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT!!! TELL ME IF YOU LIKE THIS STORY AND IF IT NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED!!