Chapter X: The Essence Of Magic

~In a world where fairytales don't exist, there sure are enough people in ivory towers, people with the complexes of princes and princesses, people who need to slay a dragon and people who want to find their true love

I don't want to face my parents. Alex has kindly offered me to stay at her place, so that is where I will be.

I'm browsing through one of her books right now, starting at the last pages of it.

My hand is swatted away by Alex's as she takes the book from me.

'You can't just read the last pages,' she says, giving me a look of disbelief.

'Why not? I didn't like the book anyway. It was better to read the ending instead of having to waste my time on a stupid love plot.'

Alex slaps me on my arm. Hard. 'This is my favorite book. Don't you dare to insult it.'

'Girls, I reckon that we should talk,' Darwin's voice suddenly erupts into the room.

We must look very disturbed by his sudden presence, since his face wears an insecure expression.

'Why?' Alex simply asks, folding her arms across her chest.

Darwin mirrors it, but doesn't seem to be aware of it.

'I have given the two of you time after the drawing. I suppose the two of you have some questions. Especially you, Alex. But you have made no attempt to ask me anything the previous days.'

Alex looks at him in annoyance. 'Why would I ask you anything? You have made it quite clear that you don't want to have any contact with me.'

Darwin's eyes are being filled with anger, their wall of containment crumbling.

'I don't.' He shakes his head, as to shake off his feelings for the moment.

'I'm not here to discuss our relationship. You saw what I have drawn. Since the two of you are only paying attention to yourselves, I will tell you the answer of the question that normal people would have asked me after they witnessed the drawing. I can draw people in a way that makes them who they truly are.'

Alex and I share a look together. We have been acting quite ignorant lately. It was as set in stone that Darwin would be truth as it was set in stone that people need to breathe in order to live.

We were only busy with our own problems, while the real problem made our problems fade until they were vanished.

'Have you always been able to do this?' I ask him, perceiving the fluorescent glow of his eyes.

He nods while giving me a silly smile. 'I thought you were a smart girl. Why didn't you ask questions?'

I look at him rather sheepishly. 'I guess I was paying attention to the distance, to the things that were hard to be found and forgot about the things in front of my eyes. And quite frankly, Alex and I have not really seen each other that much lately.'

Darwin shifts his eyes from mine to Alex's.

'And what is your excuse?'

Alex's face scrunches up in loathing.

'Why would you think that we would be interested in your oddness?'

Darwin sighs, containing his anger. He scratches his chin and is giving me a meaningful look.

'Jaydee is different too. She can see you for who you truly are. She has a gift too.'

Alex exhales abruptly. 'How do you know? Have you been eavesdropping on us?'