Chapter XXV: The End Of The Tunnel

~People can never really die if other people will always be carrying the received love from them inside their hearts

Alex

I've been feeling very strange the previous days. The loss of Jaydee is still hurting me, but the odd way I've been feeling is not related to that.

When Fearwyn tried touching me, I felt like pushing him out of the carriage. Something doesn't feel right. The way I was really in love with him is closed all of a sudden. It's not natural to fall out of love with someone that quickly, it might be that being in this realm has something to do with it.

Darwin and the others have left me with the Eyecatchers. I am not so thrilled about that.

'Come with me, Alex,' I hear their leader ordering me, a buff looking guy with beautiful green eyes.

He is really handsome, but there is something inside of me that is so conflicted that I am not fully in awe of them like I am supposed to be.

I quietly follow him until I almost bump into him when he abruptly comes to a halt.

He turns around, giving me an apologetic smile.

We have entered a dark cave that has one tunnel, only lit by the end of that tunnel. It's making me quite weirded out with what is at the end of that tunnel. It almost feels like the man is leading me towards my death.

'This cave is a secret of our Clan. Do you swear to me that you will never speak about it to anyone but the Eyecatchers?'

I look him straight into his very green eyes, wanting to show him that I am trustworthy.

'I swear that I won't tell anyone.'

He shortly nods, his face remaining determined yet uninviting.

'What do you think there is at the end of the tunnel?' he asks, looking at me intently.

'I'm not sure, since this realm is nothing like the one I'm from. My world does not have magic. I think it has to do with the magic of the Eyecatchers.'

I frown at my own answer that wasn't really an answer at all. I decide to ask him a question instead, since I am much better at asking questions than giving answers.

'What's your name?'

The leader gives me an approving smile, even though it could be my imagination since it disappeared within three seconds.

'Smart girl you are. In our Clan, we don't carry names. We view each other differently than outsiders do if they fall under our spell. Those who don't fall under our spell, are those who are our partners and slaves for life if we are able to get to them.'

He hasn't given me enough answer and too much information I didn't ask for.

'How do Eyecatchers view each other?'

The leader tilts his head, as if he is estimating me.

'We all look the same in each other's eyes. The only physical aspect that is unique are our faces. We all have the same body, gender, voice and posture.'

I scratch my chin in confusion. Why am I one of them if all of them are different in my eyes?

'But why am I an Eyecatcher if I perceive you like an outsider would?'

The man gives me a pointed look before gesturing towards the tunnel, indicating that I have to walk through it.

'Every Eyecatcher will be in connection with their magic when they've walked through that tunnel. It could be the case that you are a different kind of Eyecatcher. We normally take people with no magic as a partner since those children are the only ones that are able to become true Eyecatchers. The children of those that are born from more magical roots, turn out...different.'