Chapter XXVII: The Flat Surface

~Thinking outside the box means that you think about all that doesn't have an added definition to it. It also includes the risk of never being able to think inside the box ever again.

Alex

After Felon's sudden encapturement, Alyssa is the first one to speak.

'I predicted this, but I didn't realize that it would...turn out like this.'

'I could have saved him, but it all happened so fast,' Nova remarks.

I tune out of it after her sentence, realizing that I couldn't care less. Not about Felon or this stupid prophecy. We don't even know what Nova wants to accomplish with our magic.

I know that I need to separate my magic from Jaydee's in order to be able to change my unevolved magic into magic that I can use here in Sky. Jaydee was set on me not giving up my own magic after I have been able to connect with it. Why only me and not Darwin or Fearwyn?

I am not willing to surrender Jaydee to Nova at this moment, I don't care what that prophecy says. There must be another way.

'Alex, I have been asking you the same question two times already. The third time won't be me asking you something, but will be you who is going to beg me for mercy,' I hear Nova say all of a sudden, breaking me out of my train of thoughts.

I look up, mirroring the annoyance in her eyes.

'What did you ask?'

Nova sighs deeply.

'We haven't spoken about your connection with your magic. Are you able to use the magic inside of you that comes from you and Jaydee?'

'No, my magic is rooted from the Eyecatchers while Jaydee's is rooted from the Northlings. My magic can only work if I've found a connection with both of those roots.'

'You'll be having a lot of magic to use by then since Jaydee had to sacrifice herself. But that magic is all mine, don't forget that, Alex.'

I look at her, raising one eyebrow in challenge.

'You should try to remember that stealing magic doesn't make you the owner of it. Even I can remember that you told us that no one is able to add magic to their own from someone else. Right now, I am carrying it and I am not planning on ever giving it to you. No, I am going to master it and will be a more powerful sorceress than you could have ever been.'

Nova opens her mouth to reply, but I am not even close to being finished.

'You can stop saying Jaydee's name. We can all stop saying her name because she's dead. And the magic of her, living inside of me, is mine now. It's Alex's magic from now on and not the mixture of my magic and hers. You should start respecting me, Nova, because you haven't made a prophecy about what will happen after it's fulfilled.'

I can feel my heart cracking together with my head, the thoughts in my head not quite representing what I ironically thought they would be.

'Why are you doing this? Separating me from you? Separating the heart from the mind? You were supposed to give me to Nova, to split up my magic and yours, not split yourself into my magic and yours. It's not too late, you can still give me to her.'

I close my eyes in concentration, fighting the thoughts of Jaydee that clearly aren't mine.

'I don't want Nova to get you and in this way, she never will. Besides, don't you think that she deserves to be punished for everything that she has done to us? All of us, not only you and me.'

I exhale slowly and let go of my grip, giving her the space to control the thoughts for this moment.

'This is not you, Alex. My magic is not yours. I gave it to you when I died because of the prophecy, not because you are meant to use it for other purposes. I told you to keep your magic to yourself because it is you. If you choose to keep my magic in your life, you will never be the person you truly are. If...'