Chapter XXII: The Circle

~The way we are who we are, is a way that can be full of traffic and unkept parts. Just remember that at the end of that way, the hidden you is always there, not making an appearance on that way but certainly present

The company is split up in two; Nova and three guards in one of the carriages and me, Darwin, Fearwyn and Alex in the other. The carriages are being pulled by two strong horses each, each carriage having one servant of Nova's to direct the horses.

I keep my gaze on the side of the road, gazing out of one of the two windows of the carriage.

My attempt at trying to have no interaction with the three seems to have failed when I feel a pair of eyes on me.

My natural instinct tells me to look back, but my odd instinct that I always follow, no matter what, tells me to keep my gaze right where it is.

I feel a tug on the sleeve of my jacket and I sigh, because I still have to do the task that was given to me. Simply ignoring them will sabotage that. Even though that I am on team Sabotage, especially when it comes to myself, I want to fulfill the task.

I've been waiting for it for ten years.

'Yes?' I ask, reluctantly moving my head to the one that felt the need to interact with me.

It's Darwin, the small guy with the green eyes. His face is quite the sight, expressing almost all of the basic emotions except for one.

Happiness.

'How did you end up in Nova's circle?'

I pinch the bridge of my nose, not having expected this question. It immediately fills my head with memories.

An iron grip is holding the boy, which is not necessary at all since a grip of wool would be enough to control him.

The boy dares to look up into the face of his capturer, which appears to be a major mistake.

SMACK! The palm of a hand has hit him in the face, leaving a red mark there.

'Don't have the guts to even look at me. Even your eyes are black, if one would stare deeply into them, he could see all blackness that is hidden behind your eyes. But it is time to give a felon to one who might know what to do with you.'

The boy is being dragged inside an enormous castle that is even bigger than theirs. The largeness of it intimidates him, reminding him that there are people in this world that are even more powerful than his parents. Not that he would ever say that out loud if he wants to keep his skin the way it is.

The silence inside of it isn't what makes it so cold; it is the certain air that is flowing through the entire place. Shivers are creeping up the boy's neck when he and his father are being guided inside a big room.

A tall and dark figure is sitting on the throne, hidden by a black cloak. The father takes the boy aside, whispering some last violent words into the boy's ear: 'This is the King of Sky, just remain quiet or he will cut out your tongue if he wasn't already planning on doing it.'

'Bow before our Luna Striking Sol,' the one who guided them demands.

The father immediately harshly tugs the boy down with him on their knees.

'Rise,' a deep voice sounds, the voice that you would expect of a King.

The two of them rise. The King removes the hood of his cloak, revealing a worn out, dark face. His eyes are dark brown, but the darkness coming from them has nothing to do with the colour.