Chapter XII: Treachery

~The ears of people are more opened to the things they are insecure of than the things they are confident about, since they don't need to hear the things they already believe in

School passes quite fast and Alex and I ride to the library on our bicycles, not quite as fast.

Darwin is already waiting for us by the entrance. He looks better than he did yesterday, dressed in a green button-up and dark jeans.

We put our bikes in the place where they are supposed to be and enter the library.

Alex doesn't follow us inside, however. A boy of our age seems to have stopped her. I think it is my best bet to not interfere and Darwin and I get inside.

I recognize Graham's face immediately and he recognizes mine too, as his face lits up and his body moves towards us.

He walks towards us, with his confident and dominant stride.

I'm not sure if I like it.

'Hello, Jaydee,' he greets me.

'You don't know me yet, but I'm Graham, the definition of Perfection,' Graham says to Darwin while winking at me in teasing.

Darwin is looking him up and down rather slowly.

'Darwin,' he simply says, making it as clear as the fact that fire is hot that he doesn't like him.

Taylor is running towards her, her face full of stress. I'm wondering why?

'I have cleared the library,' she says, oddly enough talking to Graham.

Graham gives her a curt nod and whistles on his fingers.

Darwin and I are too late to respond to these signs as strong, bulging arms are grasping us by our shoulders.

We are protesting, but I am immediately caught in a deadly grip. Darwin is stronger than I am, but he ends up being overpowered as well.

'What about the other one?' I hear Graham asking.

'He is not important, since he doesn't have any powers. The fourth does have powers, but no one knows who that is. They will be captured later. Get out of here,' Taylor answers, sounding like she is commanding him as a queen over her subjects.

I vaguely realize that the "he" that Taylor was talking about, must be Alex.

I smile at that. No powers? She's even more powerful than you could imagine.

Why is Taylor helping them? Graham isn't Perfection, so it seems. So he is probably working for the ones who are trying to kill us. Couldn't they have paid me a visit earlier?

Something is being shoved under my nose, causing everything to become blurry.

I try to fight the sleepiness, yet my body doesn't co-operate with my mind and I slowly drift away.

Alex

Jaydee, Darwin and I are heading to the entrance of the library. I still don't trust this Graham guy if I have to be really honest.

Right before I'm making my way inside, an arm on my arm makes me stop in my tracks.

I notice that Jaydee looks behind her, always keeping an eye on me.

Her gaze shifts from me to the guy, and decides that I am in no danger and she gets inside with Darwin.

I smile a little bit, her protectiveness is very sweet. I turn my attention to the boy next to me, and I have to close my mouth while I am taking in his appearance.