Chapter XXIV: Spellbound

~Things are bound to happen, but your consent makes the difference between attaching those things as a part of you or as a part of your life. Your consent, however, is a mixture of feelings and thoughts that you can't always control because they are a reaction of who you are

I have talked a lot with Alyssa, explaining everything she needs to know if she wants to be an useful member of our team. She listened carefully, never interrupting me and only asking questions after I finished talking.

'So how do we even know if our magic is responding to a Clan that we meet?' Fearwyn asks, which seems weird since he hasn't been talking the entire time unless someone asked him something or when he is concerned.

I suddenly realize that his question is directed at me, since Nova and the three guards are inside the other carriage.

I abruptly stop staring out of the window and look at him.

'You do realize that you are asking the only person that doesn't have magic inside this carriage this?'

Fearwyn's face keeps looking at me, waiting for me to answer him. He is most likely able to know that I know, because it is his magic to detect lies and discover the truth.

I sigh because I know that it is expected of me to inform him.

'It is hard for me to explain since I don't have any magic that has roots. But I think that you just know the moment you have had some interaction with them or have witnessed how they are. It doesn't surprise me that none of you are connected to my family and you should be relieved. Trust me, you don't want to be a part of it,' I decide to make up as an answer.

'It's just like Felon said, you just know. You won't be beaming light or something, but you just know it the moment you meet the Clan. But I am not sure how it will happen. You three are from Earth while we only know how the connection with magic is made with those that are born here. We also don't know if the magic that the three of you are having now will stay the same once you are connected with your roots,' Alyssa joins in, which I am grateful for because she actually has magic.

Fearwyn takes Alex's hand inside of his in an intimate manner, making me realize that they are together. He is far more lively than he has ever been from what I have seen from him. The prophecy doesn't lie, though. It will only be a matter of time before he'll be destroyed.

Alex, strangely, pulls her hand out of his and looks at him in confusion. Fearwyn mirrors her expression and obviously wants to know why she's pulling away from him.

'I know that I haven't really been myself lately and I am sorry for that. You need to understand that my half sister died. Besides, you could have expected it since the prophecy clearly indicated that it will affect me.'

Fearwyn sounds like a very different guy than I thought he would be.

Alex's blue eyes are starting to fill with tears and Alyssa and I look away, trying to give them a little bit of privacy even though it isn't much inside this compact carriage.

'I am not angry at you for mourning or acting the way you did. I just...it doesn't feel right to be with you, I'm sorry. I can't do this right now.'

Alex's words fill the carriage but they are not leaving, the sound of them being the last sound we heard from each other for the next hours.

A bump of the back of my head against the back of my seat alerts all of us. We have finally come to a stop. Nova is merciless, she doesn't even stop for us to pee or stretch our legs. The only possible reason that we have stopped is because we have reached the next Clan.

The door of our carriage opens, revealing the slightly disheveled Sorrel.

'Felon, the Luna Striking Sol wants you to walk next to her on our way to the Eyecatchers. She also ordered me to warn all of you about the people we are going to meet,' Sorrel's shoulders are shrinking back in fear and that fear is well-placed. Eyecatchers are not to be trifled with.