-13-

I didn't want to assume anything, but I was almost one hundred percent sure I was being followed. At first, I thought it was a coincidence the blonde she wolf from my economics class ended up being in all of my morning classes. Earlier that day, I stayed behind to take my medicine, only to turn around to see the girl "busying" herself by going through her notebook. I had had enough.

But now the hallway was fairly empty as students crowded into the cafeteria or left for lunch. The she wolf trailed behind me. Each time I glanced behind me she acted as if she was busy on her phone.

Taking a deep breath, I turned to face her. She instantly snapped her head down to her phone. I took a few steps closer to her, then held out my hand. "Hi, I'm Parmus." Her blue eyes met mine before she shook my hand. "I'm Esther." She said hesitantly.

Pulling away I crossed my arms over my chest. "Why are you following me Esther?" Her eyes went wide as she struggled to come up with an explanation. "Alpha asked me to keep an eye out for you."

I knitted my eyebrows. "That was very kind of you two but you don't have to do that Esther." Her eyes widened as she shook her head. "No, I don't mind honestly."

Shrugging my shoulders, I decided to ease the awkwardness. "Okay, do you want to have lunch?"

She nodded eagerly. "Sure! I eat in the library with my friend Thomas." She gestured for me to follow as she lead the way.

"We're actually not allowed to eat in the library, but the librarian happens to be my older sister." She explained.

"That's cool. Do you like reading?" Her eyes lit up as she discussed how she loved to read. Her parents being technophobes, raised her and her sister without electronics, so she had grown to enjoy reading in her spare time. They had only allowed her to have a cellphone and laptop when she entered high school for academics and contact reasons, but she explained how she occasionally snuck Netflix.

We approached a petite she wolf behind the receptionist desk and I instantly saw the similarities. Her and Esther shared the same sky blue eyes and light blonde hair. Only her hair was styled in a loose high ponytail. She slid her glasses up to her head and smiled. "Hi Esther. Parmus right?"

"That's me." I replied then took her hand to shake. "I'm Coraline. If you ever need anything let me know okay?" I nodded, grateful for her friendliness.

"You guys can eat in the back room." She said, pointing to the room behind her.

"Thanks." I followed Esther into the room small room. It had a square table in the middle and a dry erase board on one of the walls. I placed my bag on the table then sat. "How old is she?" I asked Esther. He sister looked fairly young.

"She's 24. She had her first pup 4 months ago. He's is a handful, but I think she really enjoys being a mother." She said then bit into her sandwich. I smiled then pulled out my lunch. My heart clenched as I read the small post-it note attached to my sandwich.

I made you some leftover chicken salad from yesterday. I hope you have a great first day at school! Keep your head up little one.
-Jill

I was thrown out of my thoughts as the door to the room opened. In walked a tall male with shaggy brown hair, he had an athletic build, but nothing too out of the ordinary. "Esther!" His brown eyes landed on her before he pulled her into a hug. "Hi Thomas." She said as she pushed him off of her.

He rolled his eyes then sat beside her, his eyes falling on me. "Thomas this is Parmus." Esther introduced.

"Ah, so you're the newbie." He said as he leaned into his seat. Esther rolled her eyes then stuffed a handful of chips into her mouth. "I guess so..." I said with a shrug.