04: A Sleepover and Serris

Author's POV

"Do you want something? Water? Juice?" Sean asked Kaycee as soon as they got inside his house.

"No, thanks Sean." said Kaycee, settling herself on the couch with her phone in her hand.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Really, Sean." Kaycee's now chuckling. "You just go ahead and cook us some dinner. Don't mind me. I'll just call my Dad and then I'll follow you in the kitchen." said Kaycee, her attention now on her phone.

"Okay."

Kaycee dialed her dad's number immediately. It took three rings before the call was answered. "Dad," she started. She can hear music playing in the background.

"Yes, hun?" Her dad's voice was too loud so she distanced the phone from her ear a little.

"Uh, I'm at Sean's. I'll have dinner here," She said, wondering if her dad can clearly hear her from the music. "Can you fetch me home later? I'll just text you when–"

"Fetch? Oh, honey I'm sorry." Her dad said — again, his voice is quite loud. "We're currently at our old friend's house. You know, a little reunion–" The phone was taken away from her dad.

"Kaycee, honey, you're at Sean's you said?" It was now her mom talking. "Why don't you just spend the night there?"

What?  Kaycee thought to herself. "Uh, mom, I don't have any extra clothes here with me and besides, I don't think it will be a good idea, you know."

"What? Yeah, yeah sure." She heard her mom said. At first, she thought that her mom was agreeing with her that it's not a good idea but then she realized that she was probably talking to someone and it's not her. "Honey, I'm really sorry but we can't pick you up tonight. Just- yeah, I'll be right there! Honey, I gotta go. We'll fetch you tomorrow, okay? Love you!"

But before Kaycee could even say "love you too," her mom had already ended the call.

What am I gonna do now? She let out a sigh. It's not that she doesn't want to sleep at Sean's. Sleep overs with him are not really new to her but it's always with some friends, not just the two of them.

She heaved another sigh and went in the kitchen. There, she saw Sean busy cooking. It smells good, Kaycee thought.

Sean didn't immediately noticed her. Kaycee had to clear her throat to make her presence known.

"Hey," Sean sad, looking up. "I didn't noticed you there. How did the phone call go?"

"Right. Well, my parents can't pick me up tonight. They're on a night out." Kaycee replied, looking at the food he's cooking. It really does look delicious.

"So?" Sean trailed off.

"So," said Kaycee, placing her arms on the counter. "They want me to spend the night here, which I know is really crazy, and I told them that it's not–"