Chapter 9

On our way home that same day, my phone began to ring with a call. I looked at the screen while I was at a stoplight to see that Ally was the one calling, raising my confusion. I looked over at Y/N who was already staring at me with a raised eyebrow. I hesitantly answered the call, putting the phone on speaker so that I wouldn't get in trouble for being on the phone. "Hello?" I called out so that Ally would be able to hear me. For the first time in knowing her, I didn't hear the usual cheery voice that had always greeted me whenever we had a conversation. Instead, Ally's voice was clearly guarded yet nervous in a way.

"Lauren, we need you at the facility." Her small voice sounded on the other side of the line before the call was cut out. By now everything in me was on high alert because I had never experienced Ally in such a worried state. Even if she were to be that way, she was always really good at hiding her emotions and making it seem like nothing was wrong, like everything was all sunshine and happiness. My eyebrows furrowed on their own accord but I started making my way towards the facility nonetheless. By now the car seemed more silent than it ever had before, and it created an eerie feeling deep within me. I didn't know what to expect in going to the facility, but there was something telling me that I wouldn't be very happy about it.

When we had reached the building, I parked and waited in my seat. "I guess you can stay here?" I stated as more of a question to Y/N who was too busy looking out of the window. At my words it seemed like she was startled back into reality where she cleared her throat and nodded her head. "I'll try to make this quick so you're not in here too long." I patted Y/N's knee before letting myself out of the car. I took the keys with me just in case as I began to make my way towards the entrance of the building. I took a deep breath and was met by the sight of Ally talking to a new receptionist. Upon my entrance, Ally looked at me with a tight-lipped smile.

"Lauren, this is Camila Cabello. Camila, this is Lauren Jauregui. She's one of our most respected doctors here." Ally quickly introduced us. I gave a nod towards the brunette before I was already being pulled away by Ally in the direction of her office. Once we were inside the door, I went to sit down as Ally shuffled around before she, too, sat down. She faced me but she closed her eyes to run her hands through her hair. I crossed my right leg over my left and tried to situate myself before speaking up in hopes of offering some sort of comfort to the shorter girl.

"Ally, it's okay. You can tell me whatever you need to." I offered. Eventually, the brown eyed girl looked up to meet my gaze while giving yet another tight-lipped smile. She sighed quietly and leaned back in her chair and I could tell she was trying to gather her thoughts. I could feel my heart rate pick up at the unknown of what could have been coming. I didn't know if I was going to like what she was going to tell me or if I was going to hate it, and it was making me anxious to be honest.

"So as you figured, I had pretty much everyone that was against Y/N fired and replaced, so we won't have to worry about that ever happening again. I called you here today because I found out something I'm sure you want to know." Ally paused and I had to motion for her to continue. I couldn't take waiting any longer. "Normani did some more investigating after the case, and she found out that Y/N was basically set up. Those involved in hurting her were hired to do that to her in a way, but they were hired by Y/N's parents, Lauren." My eyes widened on their own accord. I couldn't even comprehend what Ally had told me.

"What the fuck?" I couldn't help but let out. Alt stayed quiet, letting me try to decipher what the hell was going on. "So her parents want her dead basically? I mean they have to know that if she gets into anymore trouble with the government that they'll be forced to give her a death sentence. Or if that doesn't happen, then the people they hire will either kill her or cause her to kill herself like she tried to do that night. They have to know that, don't they?" I asked, trying to look for any answers I could possibly get but Ally merely shrugged her shoulders.