guilt

his knees ached with pain and his legs were bruised so bad

his knees ached with pain and his legs were bruised so bad. yet, when he looked at taehyung now all he could think of was, karma. maybe he deserved this. maybe he should just make peace with the fact that he, jeon jungkook had officially lost all chances to make it right with kim taehyung. he held his hair in his hands as he sat on sofa, crying.

he didn't hear the knock on his door, and he didn't register someone throwing him against the wall again.

"you're pathetic, jungkook. I honestly wish I never met you. but if I hadn't , I wouldn't be half as strong as I am right now." taehyung grinned as he punched jungkook in the stomach yet again.

jungkook heaved for air, begging taehyung to stop and muttering useless apologies in-between muffled breaths. he started coughing up blood and taehyung didn't stop.

jungkook was ready to accept the fact that maybe this was how he was supposed to leave. with taehyung beating the crap out of him. jungkook gasped out a last apology as his body went limp against the wooden floor. his entire body was sore with pain and he couldn't move his legs without yelling out in pain. before he thought he could get up and defend himself, another pair of arms came to stop taehyung from punching jungkook.

"TAEHYUNG. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL HIM?"

jimin?

jungkook looked up, weary eyes breaking jimin's heart immediately.

"and what if I wanted to, jimin." taehyung replied, unfazed.

"you went too far taehyung."

"perfect."

"what." jimin snapped.

"that's what he did, so , im glad I went too far."

"taehyung? don't you see it?"

"see what, park."

"it changed the moment jungkook stopped fighting you back. you're the only one who's aching for another battle. this needs to stop , taehyung. he's done enough and so have you. can you let it go?"

taehyung looked at jungkook holding his stomach , blood flowing down his lips and suddenly he snapped back to reality. his eyes softened and jimin furrowed his eyebrows.

"tae. oh my god, did you just slip back into him?"

who is him?

"im a murderer. shit, jimin, what am I going to do-"

"no, tae he's alive. you didn't kill anyone."

"but but, what about the guy across the street?!"

"he's on the lawn and he's moving. listen tae, you need to fix this or it's going to keep haunting you. you have enough trauma, you don't need more. jungkook is willing to be your friend. right jungkook?"

jungkook weakly smiled as he looked at jimin.

"j-jimin."

but no one could hear him.

he touched jimin's shoe with his right foot and when jimin looked at him he tried saying that he needed help.

"huh? what's he trying to say?"

jungkook lifted his fingers up to show the numbers 9, 1 and 1 again.

jimin's eyes widened as he scrambled for his phone. taehyung simply stepped back twice and ran out of the house. jimin tried calling after him but there was a more important issue at hand.

-----

the doctors said jungkook would need a lot of painkillers and two days of rest. jimin visited him those two days and made sure he was getting better. jungkook wasn't mad at taehyung. he couldn't be. this was what jungkook deserved, because he had caused this and so much more pain to the older.

on the second day, taehyung came to pick up jimin from the hospital.

"do you want to see him?" jimin asked softly.

"hm." was all taehyung muttered as he went up to jungkook's room.

"are you taehyung?" the nurse asked.

"yes-"

"why would you do that?"

taehyung remained silent.

"it was a misunderstanding. and... violence isn't the best answer but I slipped into a different person for a while."

the nurse still looked at him disapprovingly as she let taehyung in. she stayed outside though, as if she was afraid taehyung would do it again.

jungkook's nose alerted him as the familiar scent of strawberries coated his senses. he breathed in as he opened his eyes. he felt much better after the two days , and somehow seeing taehyung made him feel ever better. 

"h-hey." jungkook tried smiling.

"fuck." taehyung said as he looked away. he couldn't face jungkook. why. why did he go and fuck up their already messed up bond more.

"it's okay, taehyung. I...I deserve it."

taehyung sat on the bed as he looked away.

"no you don't. I was being a stupid fuck and shit, you're bruised everywhere. why didn't you fight me back? I would've snapped back into reality and-"

"hey hey, ssshhhh." jungkook put his hand over taehyung and a weird buzz lit up jungkook's nerves for a second.

"look, you probably felt this pain everyday, and so did I , but I just wanted you to beat me up. without me retaliating." he added.

"why?" taehyung's voice cracked as he tried to understand.

"because you said you wanted to fight one last time."

"fight and beat up are different things."

"I know. but it's over now isn't it. are you okay with accepting the fact that I want to be friends now?"

"I think I am, jungkook. seeing you like this because of me isn't really setting off bursts of joy or pride anymore."

"then what's it doing, tae?" jungkook rubbed circles onto the older's hand as he held it.

"guilt. I feel , so guilty."

"we both are. and I think it's time we forgive each other."