tracers

waking up to the sun streaming onto his cheek, taehyung squirmed as he struggled to move

the mornings were the hardest for him to come to terms with his reality. the fact that he'd be homeless when he was done with the "handcuffs arrangement" was stressing him out. he let out a yawn as he smacked his lips, getting up to drink some water.

"mornin'."

taehyung froze.
that was jungkook.
jungkook said that.

quick, say something you piece of-

"uh, g-good morning."

brilliant stammering.

taehyung turned around and maybe he shouldn't have.
maybe then he wouldn't have seen jungkook rub his eyes after letting the shirt ride down his body as it fell into place.

"did you get any sleep at all? you look like death." jungkook scoffed.

"oh. i was talking to chim."

"mhm. till what time?" taehyung thought he saw jungkook roll his eyes and flash his tongue against the inside of his cheek but he told himself he was just seeing things.

"it doesn't matter?"

"yeah it doesn't. by the way i'm leaving so call me if the police show up again."

"leave where? we're on house arre-"

"you really think i, jeon jungkook, don't have a plan?"

"huh? jungkook, the trac-"

"i know about the tracers. i know what to do."

"it's literally in your arm, what are you gonna do, cut it open?"

"yes."

taehyung looked up, horror covering his expression.
what was wrong with jungkook?

"no."

"why?"

"you don't just cut your arm open to get a fucking tracer out! are you insane? like have you completely fucking lost it? i am not letting you do that."

jungkook walked closer to taehyung and inched his way to taehyung's side of the couch.

"taehyung. i have to do this. it's for money."

"what are you even planning to do?"

"cut this part, take out the tracer-"

"n-no! i mean , what were you planning to do for money."

"steal a bank."

"done it before?"

"twice."

"you don't have any money left from that?"

"spent it to get drugs."

"right."

"question."

"hm."

"why do you care?"

"i don't. i'm just not letting you do that to yourself."

"oh so it's okay if you hurt me?" jungkook mocked.

taehyung let out a sigh and got up to go to the window when he felt jungkook's hand encircle his wrist and circle the skin near his wrist with his thumb.

"i won't bring up the past."

"you say that every time, jeon."

"not my fault you keep messing up."

a sharp sound of a slap resonated throughout the room and jungkook's cheek had turned red.

jungkook snapped his head back to taehyung but it was different this time.
jungkook didn't fight back.
jungkook didn't say anything.
jungkook didn't retaliate.
and jungkook didn't yell.
jungkook didn't pass any snarky comments.

jungkook smiled.

_____

and it was fucking with taehyung's head.

he caught taehyung's wrist as he pulled the older close to his chest, sighing as he smelt strawberries when taehyung's scent hit his nose.

taehyung didn't move. his hands were awkwardly at the side as jungkook ruffled his hair softly.

"tae? it's been years of fighting. years of hating. and last night i sobbed over how wrong everything is with you. if only i had seen what kind of a person you were earlier, i would've been your friend. instead of being the one who made you cry, i could've been the one to wipe your tears away. but it's not. that's not our past. and i can't change it how much ever i try to."

taehyung's eyes were already welled up to the brim with tears and he dared not close them or his cheeks would be stained. they slowly receded as jungkook began to talk again.

"will you be my friend? i won't hurt you. you can decline because it's your call and i wouldn't blame you if you hated me."

"does it hurt?"

"what?"

"this."

taehyung said as he threw a punch at jungkook's stomach.