12.

"Uncle Charlie. Bella," Veronica says coming inside to see Bella hugging her dad.
"Veronica.... Hey," Charlie says pulling away as Veronica could see photos and evidence sprawled all over his desk.
"Uncle Charlie.... I'm so sorry about Waylon," Veronica said true sympathy in her voice as Charlie went over to his niece and hugged her.
"Know him going on thirty years..... I can't believe he's gone," Charlie says upset as Veronica held him tighter.
"Think of it this way Uncle Charlie..... He's in a better place,"
"I know. We'll get to the bottom of this girls. But in the meantime I want both of you to have this," Charlie says pulling away from Veronica as he opened up the drawer and pulled out two cans of Pepper Spray.
Bella took it without question and put it in her purse as Veronica raised her eyebrows.
"Uncle Charlie I don't think-"
"Please Veronica. I can't loose you too please it give me a piece of mind knowing you'll be safe,"
Veronica sighed and forced a smile taking the pepper spray and putting it in her purse.
"Thanks Uncle. Ready to go home?"
Charlie nodded as he went to grab his coat and the two girls were Outside. Veronica could see Two Attendants hoist a metal gurney into an ambulance. On it, Waylon's dead, white, bloody bare feet peek out from under a sheet, resting at a disturbingly unnatural angle. Veronica sighed as she knew she had to talk to Edward tomorrow.
*********
It was the next day. Veronica was waiting for Edward by her car as the bell rang.
"You coming?" Bella asked as she shook her head.
"There's something I gotta do," she responds as Bella nodded and headed inside.
From the distance Veronica could see Edward and his family staring at her as she began walking over to them.
"Hey V," they greeted with a smile as they knew she was finally going to find out the truth.
"Hey guys... Mind if I steal Edward for a bit?" She asked causing Emmett to smirk.
"Sure just don't be too long,"
"And don't have too much fun," Rosalie says causing Veronica to blush.
"NOT LIKE THAT!" She shouted as they laughed at her shaking there heads before each of them besides Edward went inside.
Veronica nodded as her and Edward began leaving school grounds and out into a forest. Once they were far enough Veronica turned to face Edward.
"You're impossibly fast. And strong. Your skin is pale-white, ice-cold. Your eyes change color. And sometimes you speak like... you're from a different time," Veronica tells him as Edward looks directly into her eyes. "You never eat food, or drink, or come out in the sunlight.... Edward How old are you?" She asks as he took an unneeded deep breath.
"Seventeen,"
"How long have you been seventeen?"
"A while,"
Veronica sucked in air as she nodded her head.
"I know what you are. What the cold ones are,"
"Say it.... Say it out loud," Edward says moving closer to Veronica.
"Vampire," she whispers as there eyes were still locked on to each other's.
"Are you afraid?" Edward asked as Veronica shook her head.
"No,"
"Then ask me the most basic question V, what do we eat?" He asks getting angry.
"You wont hurt me. You're family is different. If you wanted to hurt me you would of already," she says as Edward shook his head and grabbed her arm as they began walking.
"Where are we going?"
"Up the mountain. Out of the cloud bank. You need to see what I really am. What I look like in the harsh light of the sun,"
"Edward stop. The sun will kill you!"
He chuckled shaking his head again.
"Myth. You need to see the truth,"
As he pulls Veronica has a hard time keeping up.
"Slow down Edward," she says as they stopped and Edward turned to face her after letting go of her arm.
"Are you afraid?"
"No. I could never be,"
"Then come with me. Someplace where no one can protect you. Where I could do what I've wanted to do from the first moment I met you,"
"I'm not afraid Edward Cullen,"
"You should be Veronica," Edward says as he scoops her up and flung her on his back.
"You can hold on can't you?" He asked as Veronica nodded. "Good," he says as he began running faster than the wind.