23.

"Hey Bella it's Veronica. I'm doing okay I just needed to get away for awhile. You haven't been picking up your phone are you and Uncle Charlie okay? Please call me when you get this,"
Veronica sighed as she looked out the window. She's been having miss calls from her mom but she can't answer at the moment because she knows she's gonna want answers and explanations. Veroncia nervously bounced her leg up and down the car until she felt a wave of calmness coursing through her.
"Thanks Jasper," she said as he looked over at her in the mirror and nodded his head.
********
Veronica, Jasper and Alice were inside a hotel room. Veronica was pacing back and forth as Jasper tried calming her down but it only worked so little as she turned to them.
"Why? Why are you guys doing this for me? Each of you could get hurt because of me. You might as well just let the tracker get me that way you'll be safe,"
"Don't talk like that Veronica! Your family now. We protect family," Alice snaps before Veronica's eyes widened when she had the far away look in her eye. 
"Alice what do you see?" Jasper asks worried as he placed his arms around her shoulders.
"The tracker just changed his course,"
"Where will it take him Alice?" Jasper asks placing a paper and pencil towards her.
"It's..... It's a Carnival," Veronica looked at the sketch Alice was drawing.
"I know that place. It's a Carnival my mom would take me and Bella all the time when we were Younger. Why would he want me there?"
"When's the last time you were there?"
"When I was 13 and Bella 12,"
"Why'd you both stop going?"
"Because Bella moved away with her mom and also the Carnival got shut down due to an incident that happened,"
"Was the carnival here in Vancouver?"
"Yeah like an hour from here,"
"Do you have any reason to go now?" Jasper asks as Veronica shook her head.
"No that place might as well be haunted," she says causing Jasper and Alice to chuckle.
"What?"
"Ghosts aren't real,"
"Really? That's surprising Jazz considering Vampires are. What's next Werewolves and Witches with goblins as well? Is the whole supernatural real?"
"Not everything,"
There conversation was cut short when Veronica's phone began ringing.  She smiled brightly skipping away from Alice and Jasper.
"Edward are you guys okay? Please tell me no one got hurt," Veronica panicked as Edward chuckled.
"Veronica were all fine everyone's in the car with me. I'm coming to get you we lost the tracker. Rosalie and Esme are protecting your father and cousin,"
"This is my fault.... I put them in danger if anything happens to them I'd never forgive myself,"
"Veroncia it's not your fault. If you wanna blame anyone blame me. I'm the one who should have stayed away longer,"
"Don't say that Edward. We're in too deep we can't change how we feel about each other nor would I ever want to. When will you get here?"
"In a couple hours. Then you and I will go somewhere. Together. The others will keep hunting. Veroncia, I swear to you, I'll do whatever it takes to make you safe again. I love you,"
"I love you too Edward,"
When Edward hung up the phone she turned to see Alice and Jasper no longer there so she begins to pack her things but her phone began ringing as she looked to see it was Bella calling. She sighed as she answered her phone.
"Bella it's good to hear from you I thought you weren't ever answering your phone,"
"VERONICA!" Bella shouted sounding in pain.
"Bella? Bella what's wrong where's Rosalie?"
"VERONCIA IT HURTS PLEASE HELP ME!"
There was rustling on the other line as Veronica's eyes widened at the voice that came with it.
"Nice house you have here. Not the best on the block, but comfortable," James said causing Veronica to gasp.
"James!"
"That's right. You know I was prepared to wait for you. But then something occurred to me going back to your  current house your cousin has an appealing smell although not as strong as yours but she'll satisfy my hunger. It wasn't too hard taking down the guard dogs. It all worked out quite well. You get to live and your cousin gets to die,"
"NO! DONT HURT HER PLEASE!" Veroncia shouted tears flying through her eyes. "She's innocent she doesn't know anything I swear,"
"You're protective of her. That's nice. You can still save her. But you'll need to get away from your friends. Can you do that?"
"Yes I'll do anything tell me where to meet you,"
"How about the old carnival? It's just so much fun seeing you and Bella smiling with cotton candy and holding hands,"
"Okay whatever you want just don't hurt her,"
"And I'll know if you bring anyone along. Poor Bella would pay the price for that mistake," he says before hanging up the phone.