Chapter 20

Hi...

_________________________________________________________________________

(Kiara's POV)

"What are we going to do?" Trey asked me.

I brought out my phone and texted Jacob's number.

Kiara: Hey, Jake can you please do me a favor?

Jacob: What is it?

Kiara: Our opposing team is cheating, and I want you to expose them.

Jacob: Why me, though? You can asked Ciara...:/

Kiara: Because you are the only person there. Now, do it!

Jacob: Alright! How will I do it?

Kiara: You have to go up to the announcer, and tell them that you think that the other team is cheating.

Jacob: What if they deny it?

Kiara: Prove them wrong.

Jacob: Okay.

I looked at Trey. "What did he say?" He asked me.

"You will see what he does." I said. We took some snacks and ate it during our break.

"And that's the end of our break!" The announcer said. I groaned. If this plan doesn't work out, we are toast!

I crossed my fingers and took a deep breath in and out.

"Okay, players get settled, because we are starting the second round," The announcer said.

"First question. Peter wants to get $200,000 for his house. An agent charges 20% of the selling price for selling the house for Peter.

a) What should be the selling price?

b) What will be the agent's commission?"

I knew the answers instantly, so I buzzed the buzzer.

"Blue team!"

"Let x be the selling price: x - 20%

x = 200,000

a) Solve for x to find x = $250,000

For part B, 20% *250,000 = $50,000

Let x be the salary before the increase. Therefore, x + 15% x = $45,000." I said.

"Correct!"

I looked over to the other team, and saw that the were adjusting their earpieces. They are really bad at keeping secrets, because I can already tell that they are cheating.

"Next question is worth two points because this is a bonus question. The question is, for what value of the constant K does the system of equations 2x - y = 4 and 6x - 3y = 3K have an infinite number of solutions?"

Everyone worked out the question. The other team buzzed their buzzer. It wasn't even one second, and they had buzzed their buzzer.

"For the system of equations

2x - y = 4 and 6x - 3y = 3K to have an infinite number of solutions, the two equations must be equivalent.

If we multiply all terms of the first equation by 3, we obtain 6x - 3y = 12. For the two equations to be equivalent you must have 12 = 3K which when solved gives K = 4." A boy from that other team answered.

"Correct!" The announcer said.

"I can't take this anymore," Trey said. "When is Jacob going to expose them?" He asked me.