Chapter 15 | Distress

It is the scariest thing Yukashi has ever done and despite how silent and passive Zero seems—Yukashi knows he is angry. He smells the anger hidden by a fog of shock, riling up further as they continue to near the Shoto Mansion. Yukashi glances to Zero, averting his soft blue eyes when he doesn't take notice of him.

He's scared for good reason.

He tries to relax his nerves, the mark on his neck wouldn't allow him to ignore Zero's presence when it aches for his attention. He stiffens as soon as he hears Zero move, holding his breath as if expecting him to say anything at all with his heart pounding so rapidly in his ribcage.

The last thing Yukashi has ever expected is to have his soulmate meet his son—Taji. As a matter of fact, he was hoping to introduce them to each other after things between Zero and him became more...definitive. Unfortunately for Yukashi, being concerned about his ill son and his vexed soulmate is beginning to pressure him.

He could have sworn he nearly died when the car pulls up in front of the familiar Shoto Mansion; it is of a traditional gothic architecture, made of bricks and pointy, cone-shaped roofs, white broad windows which are blocked by thick, red curtains. Yukashi is not concerned over who may see what is inside his home since it is far from human civilization-far enough to need a car in order to reach the nearest town.

Yukashi's driver announces their arrival, exiting the vehicle and walks around to open the door on Yukashi's side. The Pureblood flashes a calm smile, more for his benefit than his driver as he climbs out of the car and turns to Zero. The silver hunter follows Yukashi in suit, gazing at a large mansion in front of him right above Yukashi's head.

The blonde hesitates to say anything, the tension throughout the entire car ride lingers to the point it clenches his throat rendering him useless to attempt to spring up a conversation to soothe things between them. Facing his home, he ascends a series of steps leading to a broad white door with windows blurring the inside view; he barely manages to open the door when it is yanked out of his hand and a small body collides with his stomach.

"Daddy!" Taji shrieks in excitement burying his face into Yukashi's abdomen, the shock that hit him instantly melts as his lips curves into a real smile and his heart flutters. He pushes the small blonde boy and hoists him up in his arms kissing him all over the face earning fits of laughter and giggles. "Taji." Yukashi coaxes, pressing their foreheads together with a large smile on his face when his six-year-old son throws his arms around his neck.

"I missed you." Taji mumbles in sorrow, lacerating Yukashi's heart with agony and remorse leaving his son in solitude. "I missed you too. Have you been a good boy while I've been away?" Yukashi's attention is entirely on the blonde boy bundled up in his arms as he steps in trying his best to relax, pushing back his earlier anxiety.

"Yes! I do my homework, I eat all my food, I brush my teeth, I take a bath, and I go to bed like you told me to." Taji's voice is innocent, cheerful, and brings a cozy feeling in Yukashi's chest as he comes to realize how much he missed his son. The situation with Zero at Cross Academy had consumed his entire attention due to his mate bond except it serves as no excuse.

Thankfully, the Chairman understands fairly well and allows Yukashi to make phone calls one or two times a week. When the door closes behind Yukashi it causes Taji to perk his head up, large soft blue eyes stare over Yukashi's shoulder and immediately he knows who it is he is looking at. "Taji, this is Zero Kiryu-my soulmate." Yukashi turns slightly in order to meet Zero's eyes.

Lavender eyes are stunned, uncertain, yet he can see how the fury brewing within his soulmate melts as soon as his attention drifts on Taji. Yukashi flickers his eyes to Taji when he begins to wiggle in his arms as an indication to be put to the ground; he does as Taji wishes and instantly his son darts to Zero wrapping his arms around the taller vampire's waist.