Chapter 16 | Haunted

Taji is a spitting image of Yukashi. Natural thick waves flowing down to the nape of his neck and framing his small, round face; large, innocent soft blue eyes that sparkle by the radiance of the room like crystals, his skin pale yet soft as a baby, and how small he is. He can barely reach Zero's waist—just above his knees except below his hip—and he finds himself softening at the radiant presence of the six-year-old vampire who exuberantly clings to Yukashi's hand and drags him about while Zero follows.

He can't help admiring the two from behind, his heart warming and tinging with pain knowing six years ago Yukashi had his son in his arms while Zero was merely a child. A part of him wishes he was born sooner so he could have been at Yukashi's side and hold onto the precious child in his arms. It is a strange thought to him, a thought he never believed he would be able to have.

After all, he believed all his life no one can be with the monster he is, no one would want to look inside him, no one would be capable of staying by his side and...love him. When Zero thinks back he had all the opportunity to have it except the fear of it being torn away from him like his family was too great. He didn't want to risk someone else being dragged into his misfortunes. His curse.

It fills him with more agony. He can only imagine how long Taji has missed his father, how Zero was being so cold toward Yukashi in the beginning and eventually began to accept this bond between them aside from the fact he has yet to entirely grasp the situation. He's angry he wasn't told of this sooner, angry a six-year-old boy had to suffer the longing of his father—his only parent because of Zero.

He can't help wondering about the relationship Yukashi had six years ago. He can't help wondering how many were there before Zero, how many kids Yukashi has had in his time. Inquires he knows he can't bring himself to ask, it twists his veins with envy, fury, and a deep possessiveness. They stroll through the corridors, floors made of hard brown wood glossy to reflect the lights from the hanging chandeliers; rugs covering a large area of a room from the slightly ajar doors Zero can see as he walks.

Everything is spacious, luxurious, and antique. Gives an earnest, homely welcome vibe to it. As if the house itself retains its years giving the tenants the sensation of making this their home. It disturbs Zero...this mansion gives him a false illusion of belonging. It makes him uncomfortable, a place he has never been to before and subtly he feels this is his rightful place—something completely absurd and downright disturbing for Zero.

Lavender eyes settle on the little boy, his footsteps matching Yukashi in small, gentle glides as if he is walking over water; it is a peculiar way of saying but that's the impression Yukashi is giving. Taji's small feet somehow keeps up with Yukashi's long, slender legs which tricks the eye due to his loose slacks when his legs are muscularly firm with a tender skin. He shivers at the vivid image, shaking his head with a frown.

It isn't the time for such things to be going through his mind. The immaculate vampire donning a neat suit and slacks opens the doors to the right as Zero stands behind the short blondes he sees a broad wooden dark brown table with four brown chairs in a white and green floral cushion design on either side of the table following with one at either end.

Two candle chandeliers hang from the ceiling holding six lit candles. On the table are set of tableware, plates, glass, and one lofty silver vase. A red antiquely designed rug is below the table and chairs, reaching two inches before every corner of the room. "Dinner will be served shortly." The butler announces.

Zero stalks Yukashi's heels inside, biting his lower lip and furrowing his eyebrows—lost. He soon stops at a distance from the table, a servant pulling a chair for Taji to sit on wearing a white suit—opposite to the butler. Yukashi stands beside the head chair, soft blue eyes gazing at him in silent request to which the silver hair vampire simple returns a blank stare. He walks to the chair pulling it back, the blonde Pureblood flashes Zero a smile as he sits down and Zero pushes the chair in enough to leave space for Yukashi.