Chapter 20 | Sara Shirabuki

Everything is going so fast. Zero thinks as he gazes out of the window of the carriage; his body would jolt and sway along the movements of the wheels that would step over a rock pavement or the horses would come to an abrupt stop.

Three days in Yukashi's household with his son—Taji has opened his mind to a lot of things. Pondering of a future Zero didn't imagine he would see with anyone; he believed he was cursed for an eternity of solitude. Who was going to love a monster like Zero? Who was willing to give up their mortality to be damned for loving him? No one.

At least that's what he had first thought after he saw the way Kaname and Yuuki would express their love in front of his face even knowing how he felt about it. After losing to his endlessly driven desire toward Yukashi when he had first met him. After he realized what Zero felt for Yuuki was wishful thinking. After he realized...he wants a future with Yukashi and Taji.

A future. Zero frowns slightly, the word sounds foreign to him yet bubbles his chest with nostalgia. He feels Yukashi shift around, placing his hand over Zeros locking their fingers together and rests his head on his shoulder. The tension in the silver hunter's frame lessens, relishing in the gentle tingles dancing around his snow white skin.

It all sounds like a dream. Except he isn't sure if he's ready for the responsibility to take care of a child. He's still a teenager and looking after a five-year-old sound like a big thing. Maybe it's best they wait, give it time or else Zero is going to fuck things up.

This time he wants to try everything possible not to.

Happiness is within his reach now. A part of him is afraid of how surreal it is, anticipating anything at all to ruin his moment—his chance at something he may never have again. His nostrils twitch slightly from the intoxicating smell of Yukashi's scent sending shivers of delight down his body. "Zero, are we okay?" Yukashi asks.

That's a good question. It makes the silver hair hunter wonder how long Yukashi has been mulling over the enquiry before gathering the courage to ask. Are they okay? He has no idea. As far as he's concerned, this relationship he's looking forward with Yukashi includes a child.

He supposes it was now or never and he is one hundred percent certain if Yukashi had kept the secret to himself a little longer, Zero most likely would have fucked everything up for good. "We will be. We'll work something out." Zero assures Yukashi with his thumb brushing over the blonde's knuckles. Despite what he has said, he isn't sure how they're going to make it work.

That day at the festival made Zero feels as if everything was in the right place. It made him momentary forget the small child in Yukashi's arms wasn't Zero's, it made him give in to the warmth flooding his chest that overwhelmed him. If he could have another day with them he'd take it except when Yukashi told him of Kaname asking them to return to the academy he knew his short time was up.

He remembers the disheartened look on Taji's face, it broke his heart knowing the happy child was going to be alone again after getting his father back. Taji wouldn't leave their side for anything as he watched Yukashi pack his things and Zero changed into a spare of clothes Yukashi managed to get his hands on that fits him well.

Zero had a small bag gathering the clothes he wore for those three days as well as his school uniform in which he had gone arrived with Yukashi wearing it. Zero didn't even think to pack his own clothes due to the urgency of the situation. However, Taji caught something the hunter had forgotten why he had brought with him, to begin with.

The earring.

Somehow Zero resulted in giving the basic gift matching the silver material of his own to Taji. When he had pierced the boy's ear with Yukashi's approval, Zero felt guilty expecting the small boy to cry in pain except he didn't. He didn't appear to feel it at all and the wound healed successfully.