Chapter 25 | Another Life

Light drops rouse the blonde Pureblood from a heavy slumber, his eyes have an uncomfortably tight blind over his face serving to make his senses far more sensitive than it needs to be. A thick, musky smell unpleasantly smacks his nose almost gagging out of reflex until the scorching thirst hits him at full strength, fangs protruding from his lips instinctively opening his mouth.

Breathing is ragged and shallow, dizzy from all the blood that's been sucked out of him over and over again. The weaker Yukashi is, the harder to avoid them seeing his memories become; at this rate, he can barely focus at all. His heart and neck are still in a lot of agony yet Yukashi can feel Zero's heartbeat, he feels more connected to him than ever before.

I don't think I can hold on any longer. Yukashi tries swallowing to sooth the dryness of his gullet only to cough harshly.

The last time he saw his son was the day he walked into the Kuran Mansion. It didn't make sense as to why Hanadagi chose this place out of all the places in the world until he grew to understand why. This is where Hanadagi tends to take away the life of one more person Yukashi cares about, this is where Sara Shirabuki will officially make herself Queen of Purebloods. It doesn't help both of the vampires are sucking him dry to see the outcome of their future and when he is close to death, he is only given one drop of blood.

Despite his current state, he can still feel a shift occurring for the future. Reaching out to the power, fire spreads from his head to his feet weakening his body further as he grasps tightly to the fragments flowing into his mind. By the time the vision is finished he is already pushed past his limits, bound hands scrape against the stone wall behind him while shifting around.

He needs blood. It is pathetic and agitating to be reduced to this degree as an Ancestor of the Shoto bloodline; the urge to tear them apart grows stronger the longer he remains here yet every time he holds back. He doesn't know how his son is. He doesn't know if he is being harmed or was killed long ago.

Regardless, Yukashi had to wait.

"Yukashi," Zero's disembodied voices is in Yukashi's brain. "Yukashi, can you hear me?"

Alleviation settles into the platinum blonde Pureblood, releasing a soft exhale knowing Zero had survived the transition intact. Except it doesn't stop the guilt tearing him inside for doing what he had done. He never wanted Zero to become a Pureblood without his consent, Yukashi is fully aware of how he feels toward his kind and as a hunter, becoming a Pureblood would change everything.

But when Zero told him he'd never forgive him if Yukashi chose Zero over his own son, Yukashi understood—whether or not Zero was aware of what he encouraged—that they'd be okay somehow. The Pureblood hoped to have done this differently, more special in beginning their new lives together like he saw the first time Yukashi looked into Zero's lavender eyes all those years ago.

No matter how much Yukashi loathes to make choices, he is the only person who can make the best choices for the best outcomes even if he looks like a terrible person doing it. Because no one else can do it. No one else can handle the burden on Yukashi's shoulders.

"I can hear you," Yukashi speaks within his mind, testing if Zero can hear him without physically talking.

"I thought it wasn't working for a moment," Zero's voice is stronger this time and sounds rather strained for some reason. "Kaname said I should be able to reach you from this distance of the mansion. Do you know where Taji is?"

Laying on his back, Yukashi huffs trying to make his mind focus on where exactly Taji was. "Yuki's room, I believe. Be careful, Sara has dangerous ex-human vampires patrolling the mansion." Yukashi warns, ear twitching at the sound of footsteps echoing throughout the corridors outside the door.