Chapter 27 | Family

When the Ancestor first arrived in Cross Academy, he never expected to form friendships. His initial intention was simply to protect Kaname and eliminate the threat against him yet for some reason, Yukashi found himself surrounded by different people. Aristocrats who have been following Kaname since he was a child and it made Yukashi wonder, would it have been better if Yukashi had done the same as Kaname?

Except it would mean his son would have never existed. It would mean Yukashi wouldn't have been able to save Zero's life.

Regardless, watching the view of the Academy made Yukashi feel a little sad. His experience wasn't bad—if he doesn't include the admirers constantly swarming the gates of his dorm or receiving gifts from both male and female students. It was actually endearing; he hasn't received so much love and attention from humans for thousands of years.

All he saw in their eyes were hatred.

The Day students never found out the Night class is composed of vampires; it has the Pureblood ponder if they would have reacted any differently if they did know what they are. Who knows, the evolution of the human civilization could surprise Yukashi.

It's a long trip to his home. Not the one they were initially staying in but another mansion where Yukashi, Zero, and Taji can start anew without the tragedy of the past haunting their memories. It is the home where Yukashi first began his bloodline, where he married two female Purebloods he cared for—not loved—but cared for nonetheless. Where he had his first children, then his first granddaughter from his second wife's lineage.

In that very home is where his family has been slumbering for a very long time. It has crossed his mind to awaken them except it would require sacrifice and he would be their master to which he prefers not to be. One day, they will awake themselves from their slumber and Yukashi hopes that when they do, he will be there with Zero and the family he had made to welcome them back.

The one thing he never wants his bloodline to become is the same as other Pureblood lineages. They are all empty, deceptive, and lacking an actual will to live. Aristocrats are more bound to their love for family than Purebloods and Yukashi wants to make his family different, united as a bloodline should have been from the start. He doesn't know what made the Purebloods become so distant during his years of slumber but he will change that.

It may take years before he can see any results.

Nostalgia wells up in his chest once his blue eyes lands on the large mansion showing resemblance to the Kuran Mansion. The only difference would be in its particularly distinct design of its exterior; his home was carefully cleaned and prepared for months for this moment.

What makes him happier is watching his son Taji waiting patiently waiting for them on the front garden of the mansion, playing with Isaya Shoto by placing a pretty flower on the Pureblood's head. A smile is across the man's face, once stoic and cold to those around him yet was melted instantly with merely the presence of Taji.

"That's huge," Zero leans forward viewing their home from Yukashi's side. "It kind of looks like Kaname's."

"It was the idea when I initially had it built. This is the Shoto Mansion, home to all descendants." Yukashi replies, smiling to himself.

"Isaya and Taji arrived first than us." Zero acknowledges, sounding slightly nervous.

Make no mistake, Yukashi himself is nervous as well. It has been forever since he last saw his home and it concerns him more now that Zero agreed to live with him. To be frank, the Pureblood initially asked him out of courtesy; he didn't know if Zero had somewhere to live after he finished his academic studies and didn't expect him to say 'yes' either.