Chapter 18 | Kagura

Zero has no idea what he was thinking taking Taji out of the mansion without first asking Yukashi. Except when the little blonde boy stared at him with those pleading, wide blue eyes and his small lips pushed out into a pout—he couldn't refuse him. Zero has never dealt with kids before, he never believed he had to and he has no idea how he is with kids.

Nonetheless, he found himself in a small town not too far from the mansion. It is ironically on the bottom of a hill, no matter where Zero stood in the busy street of the burgh, he could always see the gigantic manor on the top of the peak with the sun glowering down from the blue oasis.

"Zero! Zero! Look!" Lavender eyes drift away from the mansion belonging to his soulmate and fixate his attention to the smaller version of the Pureblood. The cheerful voice seemingly melts away the discomfort and doubts filling his mind or the mounting anger in his heart knowing this child is not his. He can't blame Taji for being brought into this world.

The platinum blonde hair child pulls a headband over his head made in a form of cat ears; Taji grins up at Zero as he curls his fingers into his palm and raises it to his face resembling a cat. Zero is surprised, lips twitching from amusement, "Meow." Taji giggles, the smile on his round face reaching his eyes, making the soft blues brighter than the blue oasis so endless and clear.

His chest tinges both in warmth and agony, unable to direct any negative emotions to the little creature. No matter how many times Zero reminds himself of Yukashi having a child and not being told of it until recently, he can't blame an innocent child. He can't blame Yukashi either as he wasn't in Yukashi's life to be upset over something that he had no control over.

It pains him. At the same time, it shocks him. Ever since his lavender eyes landed on the small child, he acknowledges the thoughts running through his head, the thoughts he never had before around Yukashi. Zero wants a family with Yukashi...he wants to have a child with him...that also means Zero wants to spend the rest of his immortal life with the Pureblood. This epiphany kept him up last night, coming to a slow, agonizing realization of what these feelings are.

"Come on, Taji. I thought you wanted to see the Kagura." Zero says plucking the fake cat ears and places it back where it belongs resulting in Taji pouting up at the silver hair vampire hunter. Wide blue eyes twinkling, "I do! But I wish daddy was here too." Taji outstretches his arms as an indication to be carried by the taller male.

Zero is bemused, furrowing his eyebrows—completely lost and unaware of what it is the little platinum blonde toddler requests of him. He clears his throat awkwardly; his slim fingers wrapping around the thin wrists of the boy and lifts him up in the air facing the street; it is in this moment when his eyes meet soft blues.

This time it belongs to Yukashi. Zero swallows hard at the sight of the vampire, platinum blonde hair cascade in messy tresses down to the nape of his neck. Thin brows matching the color of his hair defines the tenderness of his eyes stricken with concern along with the shape of his face and parted soft lips.

A breath of relief heaves from Yukashi's chest; Zero and Taji freeze in place with their eyes on the Pureblood. Taji hangs in the air then swings his small legs with a wide grin, "Daddy, you came!" He wiggles his body to be let down to which Zero abides and watch as the little blonde rushes to the Pureblood's side hugging his waist. "I was concerned, both of you had left out of the blue without informing me what you were up to." Yukashi says, eyes not leaving Zero's quizzically.

Taji tilts his head back, to look at his father, "I wanted to see the kagura dance. We used to go every year but Eichi-san said you were exhausted after the long trip and I thought maybe I can go with Zero." Zero's heart melts as soon as he hears the reason to why the little boy had begged the hunter to take him to the small village aside from the kagura dance.

Yukashi's lips lift into a smile, fingers ruffling through the wavy, platinum blonde locks of his six-year-old son. Lavender eyes study the two beings in front of him; inquiries tossing about in his head but keeps his mouth shut. His nose twitching at the scent of Yukashi, spotting the bandage on the mating mark once more serving to spike the agitation from yesterday.

With a frown Zero shoves his hands into the pocket of his casual pants, biting his inner cheek as to not bring up a topic he has been discussing with Yukashi over and over. Besides, this is about Taji, not Yukashi and Zero. The more he keeps looking at the way they interact, the more Zero's heart flutters, whether it is out of adoration or pain—he can't tell anymore.

"Let's go, it should be starting soon." Yukashi flashes Zero a smile yet...it doesn't quite reach his eyes, sprouting concern from the silver hair hunter. Soft blue eyes have a haunting impression on them despite it brightening at the sight of Zero; something is not right. Last night comes into Zero's head, guilt hitting his chest that perhaps Zero's estranged actions have affected Yukashi.

Zero says nothing, following Yukashi toward the kagura dance; the hunter's head repeating curses at himself for making Yukashi feel such a way. Zero can't bear the thought of past lovers before him, children before Taji, he can't handle the pain in his heart when he faces reality. Meeting Taji, seeing a smaller version of Yukashi walking around pains him.

It makes him desire things he wasn't aware of. He desires a life, a life he believed he would never have. Now there is a child involved, Zero has no idea what to do aside from what he is doing now. It is all so strange to him, everything changed for him as soon as a kid was involved. Zero is still a teenager, he isn't cut out to be a parent—hell, he isn't sure if Yukashi expects him to be a second parent figure for his son.

Gritting his jaw, Zero brushes these thoughts away from his head. It's best to talk to Yukashi about it rather than dwelling on it all on his own expecting to find an answer. Moving his hand out of the pocket of his pants, he tangles it with Yukashi's own; tingles curling on his skin, spreading a pleasurable heat starting from the tip of his fingers until it gathers in his chest.

Yukashi peers over Zero, staring at the side of his face as he squeezes his hand out of gratitude and concern. The silver-haired vampire does not return the glance, simply keeping a firm hold on Yukashi's hand as Taji skips around tugging at Yukashi's other hand, excited to the see the kagura dance.

Humans crowd the young girls dressed in a white and red robe, their movements slow, an occasional twirl or jerk of their upper bodies as their delicate small feet carefully press onto the ground as if they are afraid of harming its nature. Zero remembers seeing the kagura dance a few times, he was told the dance has two parts.

One is the purification ritual used to invoke the gods and the other is to entertain the spirits that were summoned. Zero never believes in such things, he believes in monsters such as vampires roaming this earth. He doesn't believe in gods or spirits. What's the point of believing in a higher being that doesn't exist? A being who has done nothing to help you?

In Zero's mind, what he cannot see, he doesn't believe. Nonetheless, he pushes it aside, eyes following the movements as if the young females were like air—as if they were nature themselves. The males playing the instruments in the background, synchronizing with the pace of the ritualistic dance.

Lavender eyes drift away to look at the breathtaking platinum blonde hair vampire next to him. Looking at his face, the happiness glowing in his eyes and curling at his lips makes Zero reconsider his thoughts. Taji has his arms wrapped around Yukashi's neck, watching through the crowd with a grin on his face.

They look so much like each other. When both soft blues settle on him, it hits Zero in his heart; those smiles and happiness directed at Zero makes him feel something he thought he lost. His hand squeezes Yukashi unable to contain the smile slipping onto his own lips, "Who wants to grab something to eat after this?" He inquires.

Taji jumps at the chance, "I do!"

Yukashi laughs softly, "I don't see why not." He agrees.

_________________________________

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE