1: Where It All Started

Hey Neoners!! So here's chapter 1! This is one if the new chapters that I added in while editing the story. I hope you like it, please let me know what you think in the comments below, and don't forget to vote for the chapter if you like it!

Also I just want to say in sorry I didn't get this updated a week and a half ago like a I planned, I wasn't done editing this chapter and I didn't have wifi once I got to Europe {sad face}.

On the bright side, I'm in Germany right now and my hotel has free wifi so I'm hoping to get some more chapters up for you guys seeing as they are written already. I just have to make sure I've edited them completely first (:

Anywho I'm sure you want to read the chapter sooooo on with the chapter we go!!

-Alice

P.S. Dedication to a commenter

§ »» § »» § »» §

I just turned seventeen about a month ago, my birthday is July 4th. Yup, I'm a holiday baby. It's the first week of August and a little more than three weeks until school starts up.

I'm currently walking home from the mall, Zayn insisted I get some fresh air and buy something new for school. Zayn is my older brother, he and I aren't too far apart in age, only two years. I unlock the front door quickly and quietly, hoping and praying that my dad is passed out. You see my dad is a very abusive drunk and it only got worse after my mom divorced him.

I look at the time on my phone and it reads after seven at night. This is usually the time my dad is at his most drunken state. I quickly run up the stairs, being sure to keep as quiet as possible. I pass Zayn's room and notice his door is open and he's sitting on his bed. He looks up and I give him a small smile and quick wave before I walk down the rest of the hallway and into my room. I close the door and place the two shopping bags on the floor at the bottom of my closet and close that door.

I grab a tank top and pajama shorts out of my drawer and a pair of underwear and a bra. I figure since I haven't spotted my dad that I've got time to take a shower before he finds me. I go to reach for the door as someone pushes the door open almost hitting me in the head. I stumble backwards as I look up.

Oh god. Why?

Standing in my doorway is my pathetic excuse of a drunken father. I didn't even realize I was backing away from him until my back hit the wall.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't little Alex" He looks at me evilly, "Where have you been all day you whore?"

Every time he shouts I flinch back even more. I don't respond to him and I know what's coming next. In a matter of seconds my father stumbles across the room and raises his arm. When it comes down the side of my face stings. I guarantee that there will be a bruise there tomorrow. I hold my hand to my cheek as my dad clenches his hand into a fist.

"Why, aren't you talking you little slut?" He speaks in a low voice and it takes everything in me to not spit out the words in my mouth.

If I've learned anything from this it's that you should never piss off a drunk. It's better to just keep your mouth shut instead. So that's exactly what I do. When I don't respond he punches me right in the stomach causing me to double over in pain. He begins to shout insult after insult at me as he pounds his fists and shoes into my body. I muster up the little amount of strength I have in me to do the only thing I've learned to do in this situation.

"ZAYN!" I shout right as I start to get tunnel vision. This is it, it has to be it. I can't take anymore of this. Just as I'm about to completely blackout I se Zayn run through my door and tackle our father so he is no longer hurting me.

: :~: :~: :~: :

I slowly open my eyes and then quickly close them again as I suck in a sharp breath. The room is blindingly white and I'm disoriented from my surroundings. I almost being to panic but then notice Zayn sitting in a chair beside the bed that I'm in.

I'm hooked up to a few machines that do various jobs such as monitor my hear, breathing, and fluids. I slowly sit up sucking in another breathe that causes Zayn's head to snap up in my directions.

"Oh my god, you're okay" He breathes out as he gets up to help me sit up and then hugs me lightly. He sits on the side of my bed and I give him a small smile and he gives me a sympathetic grin.

"I thought I lost you Al, you really scared me." He mumbled.

"I'm just glad you were there" I smile as I grab his hand in mine.

You see, Zayn has always felt that it's his job to protect me. That it's his job to look after me and take care of me. Our mom walked out on us because of our abusive dad. She didn't even take us with her! She just left us to fend for ourselves and she only cared about herself. We haven't seen her in four years. Because our mom left and our dad is an abusive drunk I understand why Zayn wants to protect me and I love him for it.

"Listen, I have a plan and it's important that you listen to every but of it." He speaks and I just nod my head.

"We're getting out of here, I was going to wait until you turned eighteen next year but that's too far away and I'm not waiting any longer after this. I talked to the nurse and she said that as soon as you wake up we can leave after your discharge papers are taken care of."

"We aren't going back home. That's just not going to happen. Before I drove you here I quickly grabbed a small bag that I've had prepacked for in case something like this ever did happen. I was hoping I would never have to grab it but, well, here we are."

"In this bag there's a couple clothes for you and I and some food, cash, and a computer. We're leaving Al. Leaving and never going back. I've already picked a new city, we just have to drive there and figure everything else out from there and quickly because our money supply is short." He finished. That serious look still written all over his face.

"Okay, I'm in, I'm sick of ending up with bruises and broken bones. Where are we going?" I questioned.

"Manchester." He answered without a second thought. I nodded in agreement just as the nurse walked in with some papers.

"Alright, Alex, here are your discharge papers. I'm going to remove the IV in your arm and disconnect you from all the machines so you can change and you can leave whenever you're ready. Have a good day" She smiled as she pulled the IV out and took off the cords monitoring my heart and breathing. She handed the papers to Zayn and then left the room.

Zayn pulled out my favorite Blink-182 tshirt and a pair of jean shorts and my black high top converse. I smiled as I took them from him and walked into the bathroom to change into the clothes and out of this dreaded hospital gown. I walked back out of the bathroom and placed the gown on the bed and looked to Zayn before smirking.

"I was wondering were this shirt went when I thought I lost it two months ago" I spoke and he shyly smirked before pulling me in a hug.

"Yeah, well, I knew you would get it back someday. Plus I figured if you wanted me to bring any shirt with us on our escape it would be that one" I smiled again as he pulled out of the hug and picked up the small duffle bag and slung it over his shoulder.

"Thanks" I smiled.

We walked out of the hospital and I immediately see Zayn's car sitting in the front of the parking lot. We make our way to it and I hop into the passenger seat as Zayn tosses the duffle bag in the back and gets in the drivers seat.

By the time we pull out of the parking lot it's close to three in the afternoon. I google mapped the directions to Manchester and it says we'll be there in an hour and nine minutes so I decide to take a nap. I place my phone in the cup holder and curl up on the seat, closing my eyes.

"Alex, wake up" I hear Zayn say softly while shaking my shoulder. I move around and finally sit up and stretch while making those little baby dinosaurs noises that everyone makes. I look out the window and notice a little motel and turn back to Zayn.

"Welcome home" He shrugs and gives a shy smile. I turn to look back out the window. I guess it'll do for now. It's not like sleeping in a car, that would be uncomfortable. I look back to Zayn and give him a small smile. That kind of smile that tells someone you're finally free and you're going to be okay.

We're going to be okay.