thirteen

Stepping inside of that elevator was like taking a first step in to a new direction, like being inside of this giant metal box was right and she was now actually getting somewhere with her life. A swoosh comes from behind her, and she knows the elevator has closed.

It doesn't move, it speaks?

"Hello Mister Hogan, where may I take you on this fine evening?" It came from the ceiling.

There has to be a security camera watching them, and someone speaking through a microphone. Obviously that's what it has to be. Dallas looks at all four corners of the elevator, there is a camera in one of them.

"I thought you were head of security?" Dallas seeks an answer to her curious brain.

Hogan doesn't look down to her, he just smirks, "I am, JARVIS communal floor please."

"Right away Mister Hogan." The disembodied voice speaks with respect, and a delight to be of service.

"But—you were just speaking to someone else..." she trails off, confused and frowning.

"JARVIS can explain to you." He says.

Dallas doesn't know whether to ask again, or if she's already being too prying. She decides to look back to the camera for answers. The elevator starts to raise them, the floor number above the buttons, she looks, go at a quick pace. Each number changing as fast as they could be seen, it is slightly sickening.

"I don't seem to have you in my saved files, would you be so kind as to fill me in on your identity young one?" The ceiling talks again, sounding very intrigued and eager to listen.

"Hi, I'm Dallas. It's nice to meet you...?" She waves for a reason she doesn't even know herself, that hand is immediately shunned and stuffed into her pocket to save her embarrassment.

"I'm JARVIS artificial intelligence, I've been programmed into the Tower to assist and help where it is needed. I am everywhere." If he had a body Dallas swears he would be smiling at her, maybe like a old grandpa kind of smile. Kind and lovable.

"That's well—wow—so you're not a person?" It slips her lips before she can stop herself, and why couldn't lips be detachable so she could put them away somewhere so nothing dumb would slip this curious mind of hers.

Wow the floors moved fast. Dallas breathes.

"As I said, I am artificial intelligence, I am the very building you see before you. Watch the buttons." JARVIS tells her encouragingly.

Hogan snorts, he doesn't move though. Dallas steps toward the long rows of buttons, all unpressed and blank. She watches them carefully, looking for anything out of the ordinary—the buttons are changing color.

"Woah...do green do green!" She returns the encouragement, and breathes out a smile when the multicolored buttons all fade of their color except for her favorite, green.

The elevator stops, "Come on, you can be in here I have to make a call."

A bit saddened to have to leave JARVIS in the elevator she follows Mr Hogan into quite a open floor. It opens directly into a spacey living room, there's more chairs in here than she remembered living rooms to have normally. But being in a tower with a billionaire, there must be perks to it.

"Anything else I can assist with?" there's JARVIS again! He's coming from the ceiling, there's no other way.

"No thank you JARVIS that'll be all."