thirty-three

After a more comfortable dinner between the three of them, Pepper had stepped out to take a urgent phone call, leaving Tony and Dallas to the dishes that they were taking care of now. The silence was broken by Tony as he placed a bowl in the dish rack.

"Dallas." He says.

"Yeah?" She looks up from the bowl she had been cleaning.

"Clint told me what's going on with you." Tony says.

Dallas frowns, looking back down to the bowl she was cleaning, "What d'you mean?"

"He over heard you on the phone today." He clarifies.

She stills. She had gotten that nasty one from Dan, and only spoken to Tony today. Realization set in on what conversation Clint overheard, leaving blinking being the only function left for Dallas.

"Oh." She whispers. "I..."

The peace between them was interrupted and replaced by the tension of the topic. Tony knew? Clint too? She was going to try to take care of it. Pick up a few more races here and there. Griffin was going to try and find a job working under a mechanic, and Jay said he would ask around.

"..don't know what to say." Dallas finishes, unable to look back up and meet Tony's eye. He knew.

"First off, we need to call the police, have them deal with it." Tony says calmly. Like it didn't affect him at all.

"Okay..." Dallas says slowly. He wasn't mad?

"We just need a name, so they can go get them." Tony says it like it's easy.

Dallas starts shaking her head violently, "No..no..no, I can't."

"You have to or else we can't do anything." Tony says lowly.

"H-He'll go after Griffin, I cant do that to him. I won't." She drops the bowl in the sink, it lands cracked but not broken, while she takes a step back.

"Hey, take a deep breath, in and out - there you go. Good, now listen to me." Tony coaches, and takes that a step to cancel her back step out so that they were standing right in front of each other again.

"Nothing is going to happen to you or your friends, okay? They can stay here until we get this guy, you will be safe here." Tony says, and grounds her with a hand on the shoulder.

"I don't want anyone to get hurt, he's...he's killed people before, I've seen it, he doesn't care what happens to people, okay? As long as he gets what he wants." Dallas says, it was hard to get it all out. She had to start trusting Tony, so now was a good time.

"What's his name?" Tony whispers.

"Dan. Think his last name is, Rory." Dallas manages to get out, it feels like a weight had been lifted off of her chest. But this isn't the end of it until Dan is put away for good.

"Okay. We're going to get all of this settled, don't you worry."

Tony pulls out his cell phone and walks out of the kitchen directly after that, he gets the police on the phone and starts explaining their situation to them. It sounds like he is very friendly with the cops, the way he talks so smoothly to them and even throws quips in.

When Tony gets deeper into the conversation Dallas pulls out her phone and calls Jay, it rings a few times before he picks up. Letting her heart rest that he was okay she breathed.