thirty-five

Tony takes Dallas to a nice lunch. It's just the two of them here, in this nicely kept Italian place that has a low population that allows them to relax into their seats and order food without thinking twice about reporters.

"So, what do you like to do, kid?" Tony asks, after taking a sip of his water.

"I feel like you've asked me this before." Dallas responds teasingly, unconsciously copying Tony's action without noticing it.

"Video games won't count as an answer this time, what are your real hobbies?" Tony asks, clearer this time.

Dallas' face goes through various expressions, thoughtful, debating her pick, eyes rolling, until she settles in with an answer, "I like to work on cars? That count?"

"You like cars?" Tony's brows rose with interest.

Dallas tries to shrug it off, it is like she is sharing a secret that she is not sure she should be, it's odd.

"Yeah...they're sweet, and I just about died when I saw all of yours in the garage the other day." She laughs.

Tony finds himself doing the same, "I do have a decent collection, don't I?"

"If I had a collection like that I would be showing off to everyone that I could." Dallas chuckles.

"Believe me, I have." Tony says.

It was nice how conversation came easier between them now. The week had been hectic, and it was nice to know that Dallas was–timid about the whole father-daughter relationship falling to shit–getting somewhere with the hero.

"I know you're a mechanic, you sort of have to be to have made the Iron Man armor." Dallas says, "But, what do you like to do for..fun, and checkers doesn't count, what are your real hobbies?" She emphasizes Tony's words.

Tony shakes his head in s chuckle, getting what she was doing, "I play the piano." He says.

"Really?" She responds, a bit shocked.

"You say that as if you don't believe me." Tony snorts, and sips more of his water.

She blinks, shaking her head, "No, I just, never thought that Tony Stark would be one to play piano."

"The things you learn everyday." He smiles.

"That's sweet then! I've never really tried to fuck with–" Dallas starts to say, the un-approving look she notices from Tony after the curse word, though subtle, and not voiced, causes her to reconsider her language. "Mess with. Ive never tried to mess with instruments really, I played the guitar like once, my friend is the more musically talented one."

The conversation stills when their food arrives, Dallas as always saying thank you and Tony nodding in their waitress' direction. Instead of leaving it to fall awkward, Tony picks it back up, filling the void.

"They caught Dan this morning." He says.

Cautiously Dallas answers, "Really?"

That easily?

Tony nods, "Mhm."

"That's..great." Dallas frowns, and forks her food, feeing like that was too easy. "Thanks."

"Don't thank me, it's what I'm here for." Tony says.

"Tony?" Dallas starts.

"Yeah?" He responds.

Dallas gets very serious, a look of worry passes across Tony's face that is quickly replaced with concern.

"What's your favorite color?" She asks.