thirty-one

As Dallas left the Tower successfully she was extremely on edge, looking at the pedestrians off on the sidewalks like they were watching her when she had to stop at a red light, heart beating quicker anytime a car would get too close to her rear, or follow her too long only to end up turning. She made a few off turns so that if someone is following it would throw them off from where she was going.

After a stressful ride, Dallas finally finds her self pulling into the parking lot at Jays apartment complex, and using the same spot she always had. She takes a deep breath and then lets her head fall and bang on the top of the steering wheel.

She did not know what to do. Dan was out there. He was here. In New York. He knows who she is, where she lives, knows her father has money. It had taken her body a long time to recover from Dan and his gang, both physically and emotionally. He had threatened her and Griffin.

There were probably people watching her right now. The way she left through did not alarm any of the reporters which is good, one less thing to worry about. Her phone buzzes once through her pocket making her jump. It was not ringing which was good, it did not mean it would slow her breathing down any quicker though.

Dallas pulls her phone out and checks the screen. It was just a message from Tony.

Tony: Hey, kid, where'd you go?

If Dan could find her phone number that means he probably has someone who could hack it too. He could be in her phone right now. If she texts Tony back and Dan can see it then she'll be screwed. Calling Tony would work better.

She puts the phone up to her ear, head still down on the wheel waiting for him to pick up.

After one ring, Tony picks up.

"Hello?" Tony says into the phone.

"Hey, Tony." Dallas says, it comes out grumbly because of the odd angle she's talking in.

"Hey, kid, where'd you go?" He repeats his text message, he does not sound mad which is good.

"I'm at my friend, Jays apartment. Griffin's here too." Dallas answers, truthfully.

Tony breathes over the phone, "Okay..well kudos to you for escaping these vultures outside by the way."

They laugh. Dallas' more forced than Tony's lighthearted one.

"I had some help from JARVIS, he showed me where to go." Dallas says.

"I bet he did. Well..just let me know when you leave next time. Peppers going to cook tonight,  so text me when you're on your way back. I'm going to be in a meeting for a few hours..actually on my way to it right now. Running late–" Tony starts to ramble, and Dallas just wants to go inside of Jays apartment where she can relax.

"–Good luck in your meeting, I guess? I'll call you later, bye." Dallas says, already pulling the phone away from her ear.

She catches his, "Okay then..bye, kid, have a-" before the call ends, leaving Tony's sentence unfinished. It felt rude, but she had already said bye and so had he, so it should not matter because he knew she was going to hang up anyways.

It felt stupid worrying over being rude. It always had because Dallas never intentionally tries to be rude, somedays it just slips out.

"Okay..." she breathes, lifting her head off the wheel, taking her keys, and opening the door to step out. She shuts the door behind her, fixes her jacket, makes sure to lock the car and puts her keys and phone back into her front pockets.

Dallas looks around her, sees no one and nothing there and starts heading for the door. She tries her best to convince herself that her footsteps are the only ones she's hearing, we heart is still pounding and she's filled with nerves. Her fingers fiddle at her sides, taping on her legs.