Roman & Thomas - The Coin

Loosely based off this animatic by thepastelpeach on YouTube and a fanfic on AO3

    Prince Roman's kingdom fell apart a year or so ago, taking it's prince with it. Prince Roman had been kind and loving towards everyone he met now, he was ruthless and violent. Roman had always struggled with his own insecurities, thinking that he wasn't good enough and that his people didn't like him. His citizens loved him dearly seeing as he was one of the kindest rulers in history.

    Roman went on random adventures every so often to try and clear his head. He'd return with interesting stories and tell them to the towns folk when they'd ask. One day when he was traveling he had saved a man from a tiger and the man had given him a silver coin in thanks. "The coin will bid you a wish of your choosing your majesty," The man had said years ago. Roman thanked him and returned him home safely. He barely remembered the man now, except for his yellow eyes. 

    Roman never used the coin, wanting to save it for an emergency, so he punched a hole through it and made it into a necklace. He never showed it to anyone but his closest and most trusted friend, Prince Thomas. The boy found it rather interesting and told him to save it for emergencies. Roman told him he planned to before they continued with their meeting. The coin seemed to have a mind of its own after awhile. It warmed up around the things it seemed to like and frozen around things it didn't. Roman didn't really pay attention to it, thinking it had something to do with room temperatures.  

    The coin always grew extremely hot around Prince Thomas, to the point where Prince Roman had to take it of around him. He had never told the other of this, he believed Thomas would think he was insane and he still thought it was a temperature thing. His ignorance towards the coin had led to most of the kingdoms problems.  

    The coins infatuation with Prince Thomas only grew. The coin would freeze horribly when Roman had to leave Prince Thomas and he was confused as to why. It was a particularity difficult meeting with Thomas today, they were discussing battle plans for a difficult kingdom. Thomas was completely against the idea of fighting this kingdom while Roman knew they would have to eventually. He gasped as the coin grew death cold against his chest.  The cold feeling only grew and Prince Roman quickly tried to peel it off of himself.

    His movements ceased for a few moments as he watched black veins spread from the coin and start to cover him in the mirror. His struggles renewed and he called for his guards. He watched as a single vein reached his temple and his world went dark for a second. "Your highness, you called," a guard rushed out, noticing the prince's odd look. "Your prince is no more," Roman felt his mouth move as he said this. The guard gasped as the color drained from Roman entirely and left him looking like a corpse. 

    Black sludge appeared in Roman's hand and he wiped it on the guard's shoulder as he left. "You know what to do," he said and the guard left to infect others so Roman could control them. "I have a special someone to meet," Roman said to himself as he left the castle grounds in search of a horse. What Prince Roman mistook as the coin's infatuation for Thomas was deep hatred, one that would only be satisfied by killing the other prince.

Suggestions and creative criticism are always welcome!